[gmpi] Re: R: Re: Topic 1: Audience for and users of plugins

  • From: RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:56:04 -0500

I tend to agree with that. But I also realize that for most people on this
list this is probably NOT the major purpose of GMPI. I've even been looking
at the name GMPI (Generalized Music Plugin Interface) which could easily be
changed into Generalized Media Plugin Interface. I also believe that in the
coming years (already now, in fact) video and audio/MIDI integration will
come together as to the point where a generalized media plugin interface
could be needed. So why not leave something open in that direction if it
doesn't get in the way too much ? Not as the main focus, but still in the
back of our heads and certainly not rejecting it from the start?
<<<

If we can do this without creating something as overgeneralized as
DirectShow, then I agree.

My concern about video specifically is that there aspects of video
processing that can make even simple data streaming get very complicated
very quickly.

Seeing as this working group is ultimately going to the MMA, and music is a
much more bounded domain, I'd still want to call these things "music"
plugins, and be sure we don't sacrifice any music functionality at the
expense of possibly maybe adding video or other media types.