[24hoursupport] Re: dark photos

  • From: David Matthew Wood <dmwood78@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 11:44:23 -0400

Have you tried turning down the contrast?  A well made, properly
aligned monitor *should* look good with brightness and contrast
somewhere around the middle....sadly, like a lot of TV sets this is
rarely the case.  What is the lighting like in the room?  This can
greatly affect accuracy.  What about your video card?  Has someone
been messing with the gamma settings (provided your video card lets
you change that)?  Be aware that when it comes to adjusting such
settings like brightness and contrast, the setting that looks good on
one monitor often looks entirely different on another.  On a well
adjusted monitor, you should be able to make out the details in
graphics, and at the same time, black things should be black - that
is, if you had the lights turned off, you should just barely be able
to make out any illumination from the monitor in these black areas.
Same pretty much goes for TV sets as well.

If you can't accomplish this, then it's probably time to look into
getting a better monitor.  I suggest you go to the store and compare
them carefully.  Before I buy something like that, I always mess with
the brightness and contrast settings, running thru the entire range,
and seeing what it takes to get it to look the most natural.  If I
have to minimize or max out these settings all the way, then it's not
for me.  There is one catch though..most stores have florescent
lighting, that puts extra glare on the monitors, so it might help to
shield it somehow.

This by the way, is why factory default settings on a lot of TVs now,
include contrast being up all the way - they do it to try and make it
look good under horrible lighting conditions.. it sorta works, but
not quite.  Once you get it home, the first thing you'd probably
wanna do when you are re-adjusting the settings, is turn the contrast
WAY down.