[24hoursupport] Re: dark photos

  • From: "Ron Allen" <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 18:08:05 -0500

Hello Lynda,

>I have my screen brightness turned up to 100%, and  that works for most
>stuff, but all the photos I view whether in my email of my camera program
>are very dark, I tried sending a photo to my son's computer and it was
>fine but on  my screen very dark, someone suggested I need a video card,
>but when I started to look around for one it was like reading Greek..( HP
>Pavilion,)

There are all kinds of things that can affect the brightness and other
aspects of the image you see on your monitor. Unfortunately it isn't a
particularly simple thing to try to understand.

The settings on the monitor itself are one factor. Assuming that the
monitor is in good working order and is not too old, the brightness setting
on the monitor itself should be set somewhere close to the middle of the
range. I personally prefer the contrast on the monitor be turned up all the
way, as high a contrast as is possible, but others may find that not to
their taste.

Then once the base monitor settings are made, I find it is almost always
better to make further adjustments in software. Your video adapter should
have at least some adjustments available. Right-click on the desktop and
select properties, then settings, then advanced. There should be at least
one tab for video settings.

Your normal Windows desktop and typical programs such as word processing or
email or whatever may look fine, but images, movies, and games (if you play
any higher end games) may appear dark. That's probably because they are
being displayed using a different video subsystem. You can adjust the
brightness and contrast for the video adapter, and then also try adjusting
what is called the gamma. The gamma is, basically, a different kind of
brightness control. (Note to the nit-pickers who like to tear others
messages apart: yes, I know this is not truly accurate but at the same time
I see no need to make things more complicated than they need to be... OK?
<g>). You can try adjusting the gamma, which may, in turn, require that you
readjust the brightness and contrast. Play with it until you get a
combination that please you for the desktop as well as your images etc.

Another thing, many monitors come with or have available for download a
"color profile" file that is basically a data file that tells the video
adapter how best to send signals to that particular make and model of
monitor to achieve the best results. See if your monitor has a color
profile available, either on the disks that came with it or from the
monitor manufacturer's wen site, and if there is install it and see if that
helps.

HTH,

Ron

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at