[24hoursupport] Re: dark photos

  • From: Joe Parker <joe.parker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:37:09 -0400

The problem with turning up the screen brightness - either manually or via
Powerstrip - is that causes other apps to appear much too bright.
Powerstrip will remember gamma settings for a given app, but unless you go
full screen that isn't very useful for picture viewing.

The only photo app I know of that will increase gamma automatically for
pictures is ACDSee. But if you write, perhaps the author of the freeware
Irfanview will add the option.

At 11:44 AM 6/20/2002, you wrote:

>Have you tried turning down the contrast?  A well made, properly
>aligned monitor *should* look good with brightness and contrast
>somewhere around the middle....sadly, like a lot of TV sets this is
>rarely the case.  What is the lighting like in the room?  This can
>greatly affect accuracy.  What about your video card?  Has someone
>been messing with the gamma settings (provided your video card lets
>you change that)?  Be aware that when it comes to adjusting such
>settings like brightness and contrast, the setting that looks good on
>one monitor often looks entirely different on another.  On a well
>adjusted monitor, you should be able to make out the details in
>graphics, and at the same time, black things should be black - that
>is, if you had the lights turned off, you should just barely be able
>to make out any illumination from the monitor in these black areas.
>Same pretty much goes for TV sets as well.
>
>If you can't accomplish this, then it's probably time to look into
>getting a better monitor.  I suggest you go to the store and compare
>them carefully.  Before I buy something like that, I always mess with
>the brightness and contrast settings, running thru the entire range,
>and seeing what it takes to get it to look the most natural.  If I
>have to minimize or max out these settings all the way, then it's not
>for me.  There is one catch though..most stores have florescent
>lighting, that puts extra glare on the monitors, so it might help to
>shield it somehow.
>
>This by the way, is why factory default settings on a lot of TVs now,
>include contrast being up all the way - they do it to try and make it
>look good under horrible lighting conditions.. it sorta works, but
>not quite.  Once you get it home, the first thing you'd probably
>wanna do when you are re-adjusting the settings, is turn the contrast
>WAY down.

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at