[Wittrs] Re: On the Varieties of Dualism

  • From: "BruceD" <blroadies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 02:20:12 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> Moreover, one has the problem of explaining HOW
> brains do the trick of bringing something wholly new into the world

Unless one doesn't recognize brains as bringing anything, nothing new or
old. I know I'm clipping out of context. Is it your position that brains
do bring us something new? That is, thoughts and feelings are new
phenomena, that now occupy the world along with sticks and stones?

> As noted, my view is that there is only dualism and non-dualism.

Where dualism means there are TWO and non-dualism means there is only
ONE -- but, as you wrote above, now ONE or TWO substances but ONE or TWO
what?

bruce