[Wittrs] Re: Mode of Existence for Subjective Experience

  • From: "SWM" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 19:59:28 -0000

Sekhar, I'm not sure of the relevance of this post of yours to what you
appended it to. There I was making the point that Wittgenstein changed some of
his views from the TLP to the Investigations which point has little, if
anything, to do with the question of producing artificial life (let alone
artificial consciousness which we have been so hotly debating here). However, I
did see a mention of this development you reference below (though my Wall
Street Journal did not arrive this morning, leaving me bereft of morning
reading as I had my coffee (or tea, depending on what I aim to accomplish for
the rest of the day)!

It is certainly an interesting development with very substantial implications
for human life going forward. Will it lead to cloning of artificial persons or
of creatures of more unique design? Will it lead to production of better
prosthetics than the current crop of inorganic devices we now make use of,
however well designed, innovative and capable they may be? Will it have an
impact on the question of consciousness itself (which I take to be a quite
separate phenomenon from questions of life and intrinsic biology)?

I'm not sure, nevertheless, what there is to debate about this philosophically
except, perhaps, for the potential ethical questions and implications that must
inevitably arise.

In the end philosophy isn't about new knowledge or advancing the borders of the
known world but, rather, about putting things in their place, fitting old bits
of information (that we think we know) with new bits and coming up with a way
of understanding the whole messy business that must inevitably ensure when new
knowledge, thanks to the work of the sciences (or related fields), is added to
the mix.

Thanks for posting this, by they way, even if I'm not quite sure how to "play"
it in the current course of discussion.

SWM