[Wittrs] Mode of Existence for Subjective Experience

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 05:07:20 -0400

SWM wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>SWM wrote:

>>>But, insofar as "understanding" includes what we have often referred
>>>to here and elsewhere as being aware of what we are doing in
>>>understanding anything, having that sense of subjective recognition,
>>>etc., etc. (which is to say having a subjective experience moment
>>>with each instance of understanding), Dennett does not deny any of
>>>that.

>>but, as an eliminative materialist, Dennett is committed to
>>eliminating all use of any language that might refer to the subjective
>>experience you say he does not deny.

>Dennett does not deny experience or that we can talk about it or that,
>in talking about it, we can speak of our motives, feelings, beliefs,
>desires, thoughts, recollections, afterimages, etc.! What he does is
>say we don't have to assume these are bottom line entities in
>explaining their occurrence, i.e., that we can explain there occurrence
>by describing the processes and functions of brains.

Searle says that subjective experiences such as an afterimage have an
experiencer-dependent mode of existence; so, for Searle, these are not
'bottom line' entities.

Does Dennett admit that subjective experiences have an experiencer-
dependent mode of existence; or, does he deny that they have any mode of
existence at all?

Joe