[Wittrs] Re: Meaning, Intent and Reference (Parsing Fodor?)

  • From: "SWM" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 00:18:16 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jrstern" <jrstern@...> wrote:

> --- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "SWM" <SWMirsky@> wrote:
> >
> > Good philosophy, that is clear thinking about difficult concepts, ought to
> > be doable in ordinary language.
>
> Yes, and no.
>
> If you try to do, say, quantum physics in ordinary language,
> then yes, you can give some general ideas, but if you want to do
> the calculations for an atomic bomb, you need more detail and rigor,
> which is to say, math.

Philosophy isn't quantum physics or even physics. It's subject matter is ideas,
getting clear on them and having to resort to complex and arcane formulations
in most cases is diametrically opposed to the idea of making things clearer, I
think.

Of course not everyone agrees with my view of philosophy and I do agree that
there are some concepts that may just be beyond achieving clarity in ordinary
language (though I think these are exceptions).

As to the matter of what philosophy is, I grant that there are some (Hegelians,
Heideggerians, Kantians, etc.) who think that to truly understand the world,
one needs to move toward complexity, neologisms, specialized linguistic tools,
etc. Philosophy, after all, is a big field with a big history but I'm of the
opinion that, while there may be something to say for the idea of different
strokes for different folks in different eras (Aristotle had his day, Kant his,
and so forth), it must all boil down to enhancing understanding, whatever it
takes and, of course, I think that choosing arcane and/or esoteric methods over
straight forward ones is generally the wrong way to go.

That said, I wouldn't want to say Fodor is mistaken or even confused since I
really haven't read enough of him, or grasped enough of what I have read, to
make such a statement. (Obviously I feel differently concerning Searle whose
writings I have read somewhat extensively -- Minds, Brains and Science;
Language, Mind and Society; Consciousness and Language; The Mystery of
Consciousness; Rationality in Action; plus assorted papers of his -- to feel I
have enough of a grasp of his arguments to point out where I think he has got
things wrong.)

<snip>

> > But clearly just manipulating zeroes and ones in a computer via an
> > algorithm isn't understanding.
>
> That's not clear to me.
>

> > With Dennett I would argue that what's needed is a sufficiently complex
> > process-based system operating in a certain way (the way this is physically
> > realized).
>
> Ones and zeroes can be complex.

Yes and it is in the complex deployment of these (certain kinds of
process-based systems) that one can envision achieving the subjectiveness we
associate with having a mind and which we call "consciousness". But my point is
that, by themselves, they are not instances of consciousness or any of the
features we associate with consciousness (in this case the feature in question
being understanding as in grasping meanings).

> > Short of a full blown field of study aimed at identifying Fodor's supposed
> > language of thought, how does he say we would recognize it or describe it?
>
> You look where the light is good.
>
> He, as Dennett, reviews various psych experiments for consistency
> with theory.  Given sufficient visibility into neural brain activity,
> we could look for it there.
>
> Josh

My question was after something a little different. I was hoping you could
provide a summary statement, in ordinary language, that tells us what Fodor
means by his language of thought idea, i.e., what it is he thinks is there to
discover? In other words, I was seeking a more concrete and precise statement
of what he means by "language of thought" (whether it is metaphorical or an
expanded usage a la Ramachandran or whether he is making some kind of more
concrete claim as in the ways in which the neurons communicate with one another
just are the thoughts themselves -- in which case is this an identity claim of
thoughts and brain events in the way so many on this list and elsewhere use
"identity" but which I have tended not to do with my invocation of the
two-sided coin metaphor)?

Anyway, maybe I just failed to be sufficiently clear in my question in the
earlier post. It wouldn't be the first time for that either.