[Wittrs] Is Homeostasis the Answer? (Re: Variations in the Idea of Consciousness)

  • From: "BruceD" <blroadies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 23:33:54 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@...> wrote:

> My inclination is to say that the mind is an abstraction, rather  than
> physical thing.

Yes, an asbtraction, what we attribute to a being. SWM agrees. But he
wants to pin this abstraction to the brain, as if "minding of the brain"
was comparable to the "turning of a wheel." The analogy fails, for me,
because we attribute only position change to a wheel, but a world to a
being with a mind

SWM thinks that his non-dualism, mind is brain, allows science to
proceed because for him a science not grounded in the physical is no
science at all. In contrast, for me, the world, in all is complexity
cannot be accounted for in one paradigm. As we turn from the physical to
the psychological we find non-reducible emergent phenomena that require
radically different forms of explanation.

bruce