[Wittrs] Re: Algorithms, Abstractions and Minds

  • From: "BruceD" <blroadies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2010 23:20:48 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "gabuddabout" <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> ...because we in fact want a causal account of intentionality.

That sentence brings me up short. Ask me my intentions for doing
something, e.g., Posting on this List, I can mention several or I may
not be able to say." But I wouldn't know what to say if asked: "What
causes you to be on the List." Now, someone else might say: "What causes
you to Post is you love arguing." I deny it. But then he points out all
the instances in which I go out of my way to create an argument. I
tentatively agree. Perhaps that is a cause. Something that operates
outside my awareness. But that causal account is not an account of my
intentionality. it is an account of my behavior which may be found to be
true or false. My intentions can't be found to be true or false, not
even if I change my mind and say something different at different times.

bruce