[Wittrs] Re: Algorithms, Abstractions and Minds

  • From: "gabuddabout" <gabuddabout@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 23:51:53 -0000

--- In WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "BruceD" <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> --- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "gabuddabout" <wittrsamr@> wrote:
>
> > ...because we in fact want a causal account of intentionality.
>
> That sentence brings me up short. Ask me my intentions for doing
> something, e.g., Posting on this List, I can mention several or I may
> not be able to say." But I wouldn't know what to say if asked: "What
> causes you to be on the List." Now, someone else might say: "What causes
> you to Post is you love arguing." I deny it. But then he points out all
> the instances in which I go out of my way to create an argument. I
> tentatively agree. Perhaps that is a cause. Something that operates
> outside my awareness. But that causal account is not an account of my
> intentionality. it is an account of my behavior which may be found to be
> true or false. My intentions can't be found to be true or false, not
> even if I change my mind and say something different at different times.
>

> bruce

A causal account of Intentionality (aboutness) is gotten through a causal
account of consciousness.  But just because consciousness has to be caused is
no reason for thinking that your considerations above about particular
intentions have no place.

"Being on the list" does involve causation; but we should distinguish
Intentionality from particular intentions.

And I think you are quite correct to point out that intentions are such without
considering them to have truth values; one has them or doesn't.  But one can
lie or not lie about their intention if one has one.

I'm usually participating in discussion after having taught a few drum lessons.
 So I'm usually in teaching mode and some of it may come out as if I'm
responding to those who have no idea about what the issues are.

Thanks in advance for pointing out major problems with this or that type of
philosophy.

Cheers,
Budd