[C] [Wittrs] Re: Re: the apotheosis of Wittgenstein

  • From: CJ <castalia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 15:56:45 -0500

Sean,

I agree wholeheartedly with the intent and thrust of what you are saying below,
but I believe you have fallen victim to relying upon or mustering an incorrect
justification. Again this is what happens in all theological discussions.
What you are talking about ( or what I take you to be talking about) is the
'belief" in the "practice" and not a "belief that mistakes either are or not
made".  The second statement is not only not provable or profitably debatable
but is irrelevant to the belief and practice.  And succumbing to the needling
of a 'non-believer' is not warranted.

Further, the problem with those who stick their nose into a Wittgenstein
book......is snot that they have their own reference frame or mind or
thoughts....but that they are unwilling to actually freely and totally
concentrate on the work........instead they find ways to belittle, minimize,
derogate, and disquality the very background of what they are doing.  This is a
pattern which has been described on  list already in regard to Christianity and
in regard to Zen, by a member who has managed to refuse to offer himself up to
those practices by reason of entangling himself irrelevantly (and erroneously)
in bickering and quibbling over "facts".  Wittgenstein, just like the Zen
Master wishes to induces us to bring our own frame of reference into the
project, to consider it in contrast to his, to feel any resulting recognition
of the shakiness ...or stability.....or our own tacit presuppositional
framework.  Not quite a "Vulcan mindmeld"...but a recognition and awareness of
the interaction between the two.  However, needless nugatory pre-occupation
with background mythology is only an excuse to not engage in this rapprochement
with W's notions and mind.