[C] [Wittrs] Digest Number 69

  • From: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 10 Dec 2009 11:10:24 -0000

Title: WittrsAMR

Messages In This Digest (14 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: Being a Pain in the Ass

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Dec 9, 2009 6:39 am (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@...> wrote:

> ... one more thing.
>
> Here is what the God comment meant. It meant that when you have a Beethoven, there are no errors in the music.

Are we to believe that Beethoven never crossed anything out or crumpled up a sheet of music and tossed it aside in the creation process? What if someone came in and gathered up all the discarded material and used them as the basis for a symphony?

> There is only the understanding of the level of the enjoyment. When someone functions at such a level higher than others, you cannot assess "correctness" before you first absorb the perspective.

This reminds me of the master-student relationship in the Oriental martial arts or the relationship between a Zen master and his (or her) students! To an extent it works when the master is at such a high level. But there comes a time when the levels are levelled and there is no longer such a distinction and then the student sees the mistakes that were always there but missed. Must we remain students forever? At what point can we open our eyes and ask the more penetrating questions?

> It is not by any means coincidence that Wittgenstein could not be understood either in person or in composition. It frustrated him to no end. Imagine what that must be like? (Think about it).

I have.

> The historical record is ripe with stories about the tiring effect that Wittgenstein had on surrounding minds. From Russell onward, minds would expire in his presence when they tried to engage or absorb him.

It's also possible that, even among the smart folks in that milieu, he was a bit of a bore. Should we imagine that his later self would have found his earlier self tolerable? Wasn't there really something rather boorish about him in a certain way (even if our sympathies are more often with him than with his contemporary detractors)?

> Wittgenstein would prepare lectures based upon his original and intense thoughts. His students who saw this were both raised to abnormal levels (for temporary intervals) and likely to adopt negative mannerisms (showing the dominance of effect). And this
> is Cambridge, mind you.
>
> Anyone who reads something Wittgenstein writes and judges it with their own frame of reference is already lost.

That strikes me as wrong. The point is to enhance and develop one's own frame of reference and there are more ways than one to do that and more insights than Wittgenstein's alone. Yes, he was brilliant and insightful. But so were many others. He was not a one of a kind IN THAT SENSE.

> The only way to judge it is to first "see it." And this itself requires a communion of sorts. It requires a hell of a lot of effort.
>

> But this group is precisely for those that want to "touch it" or, having done so, to talk about it -- or even, God forbid, continue "doing it."

There is something almost deity like in this characterization of him! I think that's a mistake.

> Wittgensteinians are intellectually tempestuous for reasons obvious to the acute level of insight needed to properly acess and follow the train of thought.

Sometimes they ape his own character quirks (and flaws).

> None of Wittgenstein's ideas were ordinary. At least not, I imagine, since he was a child.

How can we be sure?

> John Maynard Keynes: "Well, God has arrived. I met him on the 5.15 train." (Said upon Wittgenstein's return to Cambridge)

It's rather clear from the context that Keynes was being arch.

SWM

2a.

Re: [Wittrs]Wittgenstein on Religious Belief

Posted by: "void" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Dec 9, 2009 8:23 am (PST)

--- In WittrsAMR@yahoogroups.com, J DeMouy <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> This amused me and somehow seemed apropos (for a number of reasons) to discussions of Wittgenstein and religion.
>
> http://www.kontraband.com/pics/17500/Heavenly-TOS/

> Need Something? Check here: http://ludwig.squarespace.com/wittrslinks/
>It is most important fact of human nature that a certain image can force itself on you,an image generally connected with a particular way of acting (po.p.435,paraphrased)

See for more clarity seeing world as a miracle
How extraordinary that any thing should exist or how extraordinary that the world should exist.
From mysticism to ordinary Language

Only one who lives,not in time but in the present is happy NB 8 7 16
For life in the present there is no death
He who lives in the present lives without fear or hope. NB 8 7 16

Wittgenstein philosophy may be compared to Sankhya darsana of India.It is one of six darsanas (Vision)
Founder of Sankhya philosophy is KAPILA
They bring in everything to alphabets and digits.Mental world generated from a symbol and ends in symbol.All commentaries are basically verbal in nature.

thank you
sekhar

2b.

Re: [Wittrs]Wittgenstein on Religious Belief

Posted by: "J DeMouy" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Dec 9, 2009 12:15 pm (PST)

Interesting remarks. I think. I confess some uncertainty about the thrust of your remarks and almost complete ignorance of philosophy in India.

May I ask this: might the ideas in _Tractatus_ be better understood in relation to Advaita Vedanta and its approach to "netti netti" (Upanishads) or even beyond the darsanas to the Buddhist anatman?

"5.631
The thinking, presenting subject; there is no such thing.

If I wrote a book "The world as I found it", I should also have therein to report on my body and say which members obey my will and which do not, etc. This then would be a method of isolating the subject or rather of showing that in an important sense there is no subject: that is to say, of it alone in this book mention could not be made."

Perhaps I misunderstand "Purusha" in Samkhya philosophy. That's not unlikely.

JPDeMouy

> Wittgenstein philosophy may be compared to Sankhya darsana
> of India.It is one of six darsanas (Vision)
> Founder of Sankhya philosophy is KAPILA
> They bring in everything to alphabets and digits.Mental
> world generated from a symbol and ends in symbol.All
> commentaries are basically verbal in nature.

3a.

Re: [C] _Philosophical_Remarks_ and phenomenology (tying together th

Posted by: "Anna Boncompagni" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Dec 9, 2009 9:06 am (PST)

Hello, I deeply agree with this interpretation of the transitional
Wittgenstein as it is shown in the Philosophical Remarks. The problem of the
synthetic a priori, which can be better understood as pointing to a
Husserlian rather than a Kantian solution, is only one of the reasons that
can lead us to focus on a "phenomenological Wittgenstein". Another reason I
suggest is the matter of "evidence", with which W. often deals, exspecially
if we think about the concept of visual space as opposed to geometric space.

Also, the PR can offer a good intuition to look at the world as iti is
described in the Tractatus. Though W. never tells us what the ultimate
elements of reality are, I think that in a certain period he thought of the
objects, substance of the world, as phenomenological entities. The
methaphisical solipsism of the last sections of the Tractatus can confirm
this view.

But I don't think that this perspective survives in the second and late
Wittgenstein. On the contrary, after the PR there is a quite violent
reaction against the phenomenological evidence: the Private language
argument and Wittgentein's denial of the "internal" or "private" object seem
to me to be a response to the troubles that phenomenology could lead to.

Thank you for the suggestions

Anna
3b.

Wittgenstein and phenomenology

Posted by: "J DeMouy" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Dec 9, 2009 11:06 am (PST)

AB,

I'm glad my suggestions were appreciated. Thank you.

Thanks as well for your helpful remarks.

Indeed, I do think that phenomenological (or at phenomenalist) language was strongly considered - at least on occasion - as a means to "flesh out" the objects of the _Tractatus_.

(I also think you're quite right about considerations of visual and geometrical space reflecting Husserlian (or at least broadly Brentanian) influences.)

I definitely see this as the case with _Remarks_on_Logical_Form_ and _Philosophical_Remarks_. I am less confident in supposing that this was the view when he wrote TLP.

I hesitate to say that the solipsism "confirms" this view in the _Tractatus_. It does provide a good deal of support for it however.

But the remarks on solipsism in the _Blue_Book_ as well as TLP suggest an understanding of solipsism - of what the solipsist wants to say - very different from the normal understanding of solipsism, thus my hesitation here.

We also know that Wittgenstein found fault with himself for supposing that the nature of Tractarian objects could await further research. That suggests that he may not have been committed to any one approach to them, at least prior to 1929.

So-called "private objects" play a role in a number of writers, Russell, in his discussions of "Knowledge by Acquaintance", as well as Husserl. Wittgenstein's remarks may be addressed to one, the other, or both approaches at different points. (Sometimes as well to similar ideas in Gestalt psychologists like Kohler.)

Where these discussions point more strongly to Brentano or even specifically Husserl (I am using "Brentano" broadly to indicate various thinkers who show his influence, Husserl but one among them, some of whom Wittgenstein may have read or discussed.) is in "private ostensive definition" and in various "mental acts" supposed to secure the reference of a term, in various areas where he challenges talking of "pointing" mentally. Whether or not to something "private". There's a strong concern with very Brentanian views of "intentionality" in both the PI and in later writings on the philosophy of psychology.

Another point of connection between Wittgenstein and Husserl is in philosophy of mathematics, where Wittgenstein explores various senses of number as quantity, distinguishing ways we grasp a group of objects as being, e.g. 3 objects, directly, i.e. without counting them, in contrast to acts of correlation, acts of counting, and calculations from counting, e.g. rows and columns. This sort of analysis, continues well beyond his temptations to phenomenology as such, but I wonder whether Husserl influenced them.

JPDeMouy

4a.

Re: [C] Re: question for ABoncompagni

Posted by: "Anna Boncompagni" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Dec 9, 2009 9:11 am (PST)

J DeMouy:

> I really like this: "it's like a medicine, or better: a vaccine."
>
> Is that your own? It is so right!

It's not mine, it's my professor's, but as I heard it I
immediately "adopted" it, as it perfectly shows the double nature of
philosophy: illness and medicine.

Glad that you appreciate it!

Anna
5a.

the apotheosis of Wittgenstein

Posted by: "J DeMouy" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Dec 9, 2009 11:59 am (PST)

Sean and Stuart,

Certainly, Wittgenstein made mistakes. He was human after all.

And we have his own word that his earlier work involved "grave mistakes".

(A silly joke: "I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.")

I would suggest, however, that it is harder to pinpoint and understand Wittgenstein's mistakes than to understand some people's certain triumph.

Wittgenstein, in the _Tractatus_ and _Investigations_, supposed that he might only be understood by those who had had "the same or similar thoughts" or that he might hope "to bring light into one brain or another," noting, "--but, of course, it is not likely."

Was he underestimating himself? Us? Perhaps both. But given his experiences teaching, lecturing, conversing about his ideas, and of seeing how his ideas ended up disseminated in his lifetime, we should assume that at least the later remarks were not groundless.

He also showed some misgivings about his influence on his more enthusiastic students. And he warned us, "I should not like my writing to spare other people the trouble of thinking. But, if possible, to stimulate someone to thoughts of his own."

Deification hardly seems what he would have wished.

But I want to say (and is this what Sean has been getting at) that a degree of trust is a prerequisite of understanding. This is true even in the most ordinary exchanges but much more so with an exposition of great originality and difficulty.

Still, we should remember "The Emperor's New Clothes".

But we should also remember the many cranks and crackpots who devote much effort to disproving Einstein's Theory of Relativity. Typically, the do not argue that experimental evidence has been faked (though some do). Rather, they insist that Einstein's ideas are riddled with nonsense and contradiction. Their work reflects not the critical attitude necessary for science, but a failure of understanding.

Philosophy is not science. Very true. But that is why those who misunderstand Wittgenstein are usually not called "cranks" and "crackpots": they're often called "professional philosophers".

Stuart has compared the need to trust Wittgenstein to the master student relationship in various discipline in the Far East and asked at one point the student is permitted to criticize.

Wittgenstein is not with us to bestow inka or any other seal of transmission and that wouldn't be his style anyway.

An individual can only judge for herself whether she is ready to criticize. For myself, I would simply say that I have had enough experiences in studying Wittgenstein of both benefiting from ideas that I had earlier dismissed and more specifically, of criticizing only to later realize that I had clearly misunderstood, that I am very circumspect in reading his works. As I learn more, I am more circumspect, not less so.

But, as they say, your mileage may vary.

JPDeMouy

5b.

Re: the apotheosis of Wittgenstein

Posted by: "Sean Wilson" whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx   whoooo26505

Wed Dec 9, 2009 12:23 pm (PST)

(JP)

... here is what I would say.

It is difficult to translate the grammar of "mistake" when at the outset we grant vastly different levels of play. It is common to think, e.g., that if God made a mistake, it would widely understood as calamitous. The idea is, I think, that since God is "big," the mistake must be gargantuan. But yet it would perfectly reasonable to assume that if God made a mistake, it would not be cognizable to us as a "mistake" at all, because the plane of reference would not be the same. That is, "mistake" or "error" is something that arises out of a way of knowing.

And so, if Beethoven made a mistake in music, it might not sound like a mistake to us. Indeed, we might need trained to see it as a mistake. But if Beethoven made something we (Lilliputians) consider a "mistake," what would truly be the error would be our placing an ordinary and routine aesthetic as a frame for judgment of his. (See Jerry Springer)

And so, applying this to Wittgenstein, one would never take the Emperor's "admission" of a mistake as anything but part of the music. It's part of the performance. We'd have to first understand the framework of the Emperor to see what the conditions for asserting mistake are in this realm.

I say again. Anyone who sticks his nose into a Wittgenstein book with the purpose of informing his own reference frame is not doing the matter properly. What you do is try to learn the reference frame of the Beethoven. You chase his mind. Yours is irrelevant in the project. Only after you have an idea of what runs through his head can you begin to say such-and-such about the level of play you are encountering.

One wants to say: you cannot criticize Wittgensgtein before communion.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University
Personal Website: http://seanwilson.org
SSRN papers: http://ssrn.com/author=596860
Discussion Group: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html

5c.

Re: [C] Re: the apotheosis of Wittgenstein

Posted by: "CJ" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Dec 9, 2009 12:59 pm (PST)

Sean,

I agree wholeheartedly with the intent and thrust of what you are saying below, but I believe you have fallen victim to relying upon or mustering an incorrect justification. Again this is what happens in all theological discussions. What you are talking about ( or what I take you to be talking about) is the 'belief" in the "practice" and not a "belief that mistakes either are or not made". The second statement is not only not provable or profitably debatable but is irrelevant to the belief and practice. And succumbing to the needling of a 'non-believer' is not warranted.

Further, the problem with those who stick their nose into a Wittgenstein book......is snot that they have their own reference frame or mind or thoughts....but that they are unwilling to actually freely and totally concentrate on the work........instead they find ways to belittle, minimize, derogate, and disquality the very background of what they are doing. This is a pattern which has been described on list already in regard to Christianity and in regard to Zen, by a member who has managed to refuse to offer himself up to those practices by reason of entangling himself irrelevantly (and erroneously) in bickering and quibbling over "facts". Wittgenstein, just like the Zen Master wishes to induces us to bring our own frame of reference into the project, to consider it in contrast to his, to feel any resulting recognition of the shakiness ...or stability.....or our own tacit presuppositional framework. Not quite a "Vulcan mindmeld"...but a recognition and awareness of the interaction between the two. However, needless nugatory pre-occupation with background mythology is only an excuse to not engage in this rapprochement with W's notions and mind.

On Dec 9, 2009, at 3:23 PM, Sean Wilson wrote:

> (JP)
>
> ... here is what I would say.
>

> I say again. Anyone who sticks his nose into a Wittgenstein book with the purpose of informing his own reference frame is not doing the matter properly. What you do is try to learn the reference frame of the Beethoven. You chase his mind. Yours is irrelevant in the project. Only after you have an idea of what runs through his head can you begin to say such-and-such about the level of play you are encountering.
>
> One wants to say: you cannot criticize Wittgensgtein before communion.
>

> .

6a.

Re: The Stuart-Bruce Debate: Mind as process

Posted by: "BruceD" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Dec 9, 2009 7:44 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> Right, in this context it's the caused.

I'm confused. Are you saying that water molecules cause my sensation of
wetness? If so, we need a causal trail. From the molecules to Bruce's
sensation, step by step. Any gaps and we have a presumed cause. However,
if one can show that the very nature of the gap is such that it can't be
crossed, then the presumption of cause is without merit.

So-- if you hold that we can never know what an object is "in-itself",
i.e., apart from anyone perceiving it, because the very act of
perception creates a gap between what is (theoretically) and what is
seen (actually), then, by this argument, objects cannot cause
perception.

One ought not conclude from this that objects don't exist, that they are
just what the mind imagines, but, rather, the relationship between
object and mind is other than causal.

> Do we always have the option to ignore severe pain or other kinds of
distress? Or extreme pleasure?

Yes. The empirical and everyday evidence is overwhelming. A fact of
life.

> Do we intend to be conscious and then become conscious?

This sometimes happens in dreams. But, usually, we find ourselves
conscious. Good question. Relevance?

> What sense of "intentional" have you in mind

The everyday sense. The one researchers use.

> Brains produce minds which includes intentionality and purposiveness
(having intentions).

"Production" requires a thing produced and a place to put it. This
metaphor fails. The relationship between brain and mind can't be
productive. Your researcher seems to hold that a person uses his brain
to do mental work. Let's read him closely.

> But that doesn't mean we suppose that the person is a separate sort of
thing,
> ontologically distinct, etc., etc. That, rather, is your own mistake,

Can't possibly be my mistake because I make no ontological claims about
what basic substances or things exist. Ontology is your burden and why
you fight against dualism which, in your mind, suggests a different two
substances. I just hold for different sorts of explanations. Causation
for physics. Reason, intentionality for psychology. You want to make
psychology dependent upon physics. But your researcher, if you read him,
does not.

> If brain researchers can discover what it is that brains do that
result in consciousness

Quote me where Dehaena is attempting to show that "what brains do result
in C."

> The supposition that brains do things that happen at a sub-conscious
> or pre-conscious level is also perfectly consistent with the idea that
brains produce consciousness

only if you persume there is a person who experiences the subconscious
(at some level) and the consciousnes "produced by the brain." This is no
different from saying that my heart tells my I'm anxious. This analysis
begins with a conscious person who then experiences his body.

> he is studying how the brain produces awareness

Quote, please. I read him as showing how I use my brain to be conscious.
? Would you say my fingers produce music? If so, the brain produces C in
that sense.

> What do you mean by "emergence" here?

Science cannot survive with one logical type of explanation. The logic
of physics isn't that of psychology. Even physics has different types of
accounts. A psychological account starts with the person, not the mind
nor the body.

"Emergence" suggests discrete levels of analysis required by the
emergence of unique phenomena. The link between levels is not causal.

bruce

6b.

Re: The Stuart-Bruce Debate: Mind as process

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Dec 9, 2009 9:06 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "BruceD" <blroadies@...> wrote:

> --- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@> wrote:
>
> > Right, in this context it's the caused.
>
> I'm confused. Are you saying that water molecules cause my sensation of
> wetness?

In a sense yes. The molecules in action produce certain stimuli while your brain, in processing the signals generated by the stimuli, produces a feeling of wetness that is part of being the subject you are.

So the water causes your feeling of wetness, the molecules doing what they do cause your feeling of wetness, AND your brain, running the processes it runs, causes your feeling of wetness. Lots of causes here, depending on how you look at it and what you need to explain.

Recapitulation:

If we are explaining how it is we come to experience wetness instead of dryness we point to the water as the cause. (It rained and the water got in there!)

If we are explaining how it is that water has the feature we recognize as wetness we describe its molecular nature. (We invoke chemistry and physical theory.)

If we are explaining how it is that an entity can feel wetness (or anything at all), i.e., how it is that there are subjects in the universe, we explain how brains do what they do.

>If so, we need a causal trail. From the molecules to Bruce's
> sensation, step by step. Any gaps and we have a presumed cause. However,
> if one can show that the very nature of the gap is such that it can't be
> crossed, then the presumption of cause is without merit.

That's where the issue becomes one of what is the best way to conceive of consciousness. But yes, this is the crux. If you can show that there is no way a physical account can explain this because of an unbridgeable gap between experience and physics, then you can undermine the whole approach I have been pushing. However, you can't do it either by 1) arguing the metaphysics or 2) assuming what you must now demonstrate, i.e., assume dualism.

> So-- if you hold that we can never know what an object is "in-itself",
> i.e., apart from anyone perceiving it, because the very act of
> perception creates a gap between what is (theoretically) and what is
> seen (actually), then, by this argument, objects cannot cause
> perception.

I don't "hold" that because I don't think there is any way to speak intelligibly about an object in itself. All we can ever know are the objects as we have them or as we conceive them (which depends on what they are as we have them).

I am not arguing that there is a gap between what we know and what is. There may be or there may not be. There is certainly plenty we don't yet know but I don't know that there is knowable stuff that we cannot, in principle, know.

> One ought not conclude from this that objects don't exist, that they are
> just what the mind imagines, but, rather, the relationship between
> object and mind is other than causal.

Where do you get the idea I am concluding objects don't exist?

> > Do we always have the option to ignore severe pain or other kinds of
> distress? Or extreme pleasure?
>
> Yes. The empirical and everyday evidence is overwhelming. A fact of
> life.

We must live in different worlds then. When I am in severe pain, if it is severe enough, I can't ignore it. I can sometimes work through it by focusing on something else but my ability to do that is dependent on the degree of severity. We are the creatures of the physical in my experience even if we have minds.

> > Do we intend to be conscious and then become conscious?
>
> This sometimes happens in dreams. But, usually, we find ourselves
> conscious. Good question. Relevance?

Not relevant at all but you keep talking about the problem of intention vis a vis the idea of an existentially dependent relationship of minds on brains. I was merely pointing out that irrelevance.

> > What sense of "intentional" have you in mind
>
> The everyday sense. The one researchers use.

Which researchers? Some are interested in studying purposive behavior and that is one kind of intention (and likely the "everyday sense"). Others are interested in studying the role and nature of awareness in behaving entities (the sense in which philosophers and cognitive scientists are interested) and that is the other kind. So since you say the "everyday sense", are we to presume you are talking about purposes? If so, I suspect we have hit one of those confusions again. But let's see how you explicate this further on.

> > Brains produce minds which includes intentionality and purposiveness
> (having intentions).
>
> "Production" requires a thing produced and a place to put it.

Only when we're producing cars and light trucks (or some equivalent) in factories (or some equivalents). We also produce plays and movies and responses in rats. We can produce a novel if we try. Producing is not so singular a thing as you think. (But we have been over this before, too, haven't we?)

> This
> metaphor fails. The relationship between brain and mind can't be
> productive.

Productive as in yielding something useful or as in yielding some outcome or output?

> Your researcher seems to hold that a person uses his brain
> to do mental work. Let's read him closely.

Yes, let's. Do we use our brain like a tool in the toolbox do you think? How would it be if we decided not to use our brain? Well perhaps that just means we decide not to do a certain kind of thinking, a certain level. But that isn't what's meant. In this case the issue is whether we can say we use our brain to be conscious? But isn't that an odd locution? How could we use it to be conscious if we weren't already conscious? So in this context it makes no sense to say this is about how we "use" our brains.

> > But that doesn't mean we suppose that the person is a separate sort of
> thing,
> > ontologically distinct, etc., etc. That, rather, is your own mistake,
>
> Can't possibly be my mistake because I make no ontological claims about
> what basic substances or things exist.

Neither does Searle but his basic problem lies in thinking that consciousness cannot be reduced to anything more basic than itself. Thus he makes an ontological assumption in this regard, even while claiming not to have done so.

> Ontology is your burden and why
> you fight against dualism which, in your mind, suggests a different two
> substances.

I don't fight against it. I point out when it is implied. I don't know if dualism is true or not and admit it could be. But I see no reason to presume it if we can explain minds in terms of physical phenomena alone and I believe we can, that the Dennettian model is a perfectly reasonable, viable way of doing that.

If you want to show that it isn't, you need to show that it is missing something that is part and parcel of consciousness. But doing that by assuming dualism (via a claim that consciousness/mind/experience cannot be physical) merely invokes dualism again and now you have to argue for it, but you don't and don't want to even acknowledge that you are depending on THAT assumption to deny the Dennettian model. But, if you would honestly look at the implications of what you have said here so many times, you would see that you ARE assuming dualism. My view is that that is to forget about Occam's Razor but if you do wish to ignore it, you still have to produce an argument for it, either based on evidence or reasons.

> I just hold for different sorts of explanations. Causation
> for physics. Reason, intentionality for psychology. You want to make
> psychology dependent upon physics. But your researcher, if you read him,
> does not.

I don't want to make psychology dependent on physics at all. They are different disciplines and have their own distinct areas of concerns, techniques, methods of discourse, theories, etc. But I do want to understand how psychological phenomena arise in a physical universe. That's why there is a different discipline at issue here, or several actually, including cognitive science, neurobiology, etc.

But have you a citation to back up whatever the point is you seem to want to make about Dehaene? Perhaps we could look at it together and actually read his words? Then maybe we can come to some agreement as to what he is saying.

> > If brain researchers can discover what it is that brains do that
> result in consciousness
>
> Quote me where Dehaena is attempting to show that "what brains do result
> in C."

Well you could go back and look at the text I put on this list. But I expect you won't. At the moment I have a limitation in my flexibility moving around different Internet sites but I tell you what, I will do that and post it separately, or the next time I respond to you, how's that? However, you could save me the trouble and just go read what he is saying (which I have already posted) since it's all about how brains produce consciousness from start to finish. But I suppose you want me to produce (there's that word again and I'm not even a factory!) some pithy statement here between quote marks. And so I will do so as we go forward.

> > The supposition that brains do things that happen at a sub-conscious
> > or pre-conscious level is also perfectly consistent with the idea that
> brains produce consciousness
>
> only if you persume there is a person who experiences the subconscious
> (at some level) and the consciousnes "produced by the brain."

Say what? I'm sorry but this point isn't clear to me. Can you explain it better?

>This is no
> different from saying that my heart tells my I'm anxious.

How so? Remember when I noted that my little grandson answered a question I asked him about how he knew something with "my brain told me"? He has since learned that one does not say that and the reason we don't is because one is not separate from one's brain. Feeling anxious may be accompanied by a heightened heart rate and sometimes we may not notice the feeling before we notice the heart's racing and then we might actually say something like that. But more usually, we feel anxious without noticing the heart racing even if its racing is a part of feeling anxious.

But why should you think this has anything to do with talk about brains and consciousness?

> This analysis
> begins with a conscious person who then experiences his body.

So what? That still says nothing about how conscious persons come to be conscious persons.
> > he is studying how the brain produces awareness
>
> Quote, please. I read him as showing how I use my brain to be conscious.

Have you really read the stuff at all? If you had you would not be asking this question (not if you are being sincere anyway). But I will oblige you on the next go-round. Not that it will matter I suppose!

> ? Would you say my fingers produce music? If so, the brain produces C in
> that sense.

Your fingers may be said to produce music, sure.

> > What do you mean by "emergence" here?
>
> Science cannot survive with one logical type of explanation. The logic
> of physics isn't that of psychology. Even physics has different types of
> accounts. A psychological account starts with the person, not the mind
> nor the body.

What do you mean by "emergence" though? We already know there are persons with minds and bodies. But what is this "emergence" you are now invoking? What are examples of it? How does it occur? When and where does it occur?

> "Emergence" suggests discrete levels of analysis required by the
> emergence of unique phenomena. The link between levels is not causal.
>
> bruce

Not what it "suggests", what IS it?

Some think "emergence" refers to someone coming out of his or her bath. Or coming out of a space capsule, say. But surely that isn't what you mean. Sometimes the occurrence of a new feature from some other level of operation is meant, as in the wetness of water is an emergent feature of water's atomic structure. Perhaps that's how you mean it? Sometimes peoople speak of the appearance of something from something else that is otherwise inexplicable. Perhaps THAT is what you have in mind? I shall be obliged if you would give us a bit of an explanation re: this just as I have agreed to find you a quote from the Dehaene talk that demonstrates he is talking about what his whole talk is about to satisfy your skepticism.

We can reconvene here when I have your quote and you are prepared to explain yourself with regard to "emergence", okay?

SWM

6c.

Quoting Dehaene (Re: The Stuart-Bruce Debate: Mind as process)

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Dec 9, 2009 10:10 pm (PST)

I just posted a lengthy passage taken directly from the Dehaene talk in answer to your request for a quote shown below, Bruce, but for some reason it's delayed in coming up here and I want to discharge my obligation to you so I offer it again below. I now hope you will 1) address this on the substance and 2) provide an explanation of your use of "emergence" as I requested. Thanks. -- SWM

A global neuronal workspace

I just gave you the bare facts: the basic signatures of consciousness that we have found and that many other people have also seen. I would now like to say a few words about what we think that these observations mean. We are on slightly more dangerous ground here, and I am sorry to say, a little bit fuzzier ground, because we cannot claim to have a full theory of conscious access. But we do begin to have an idea.

This idea is relatively simple, and it is not far from the one that Daniel Dennett proposed when he said that consciousness is "fame in the brain". What I propose is that "consciousness is global information in the brain" ? information which is shared across different brain areas. I am putting it very strongly, as "consciousness is", because I literally think that's all there is. What we mean by being conscious of a certain piece of information is that it has reached a level of processing in the brain where it can be shared.

Because it is sharable, your Broca's area (or the part of it involved in selecting the words that you are going to speak) is being informed about the identity of what you are seeing, and you become able to name what you are seeing. At the same time, your hippocampus is perhaps informed about what you have just seen, so you can store this representation in memory. Your parietal areas also become informed of what you have seen, so they can orient attention, or decide that this is not something you want to attend to? and so on and so forth. The criterion of information sharing relates to the feeling that we have that, whenever a piece of information is conscious, we can do a very broad array of things with it. It is available.

Now, for such global sharing to occur, at the brain level, special brain architecture is needed. In line with Bernard Baars, who was working from a psychological standpoint and called it a "global workspace", Jean-Pierre Changeux and I termed it the global neuronal workspace. If you look at the associative brain areas, including dorsal parietal and prefrontal cortex, anterior temporal cortex, anterior cingulate, and a number of other sites, what you find is that these areas are tightly intertwined with long distance connections, not just within a hemisphere, but also across the two hemispheres through what is called the corpus callosum. Given the existence of this dense network of long-distance connections, linking so many regions, here is our very simple idea: these distant connections are involved in propagating messages from one area to the next, and at this very high level where areas are strongly interconnected, the density of exchanges imposes a convergence to a single mental object out of what are initially multiple dispersed representations. So this is where the synchronization comes about.

Synchronization is probably a signal for agreement between different brain areas. The areas begin to agree with each other. They converge onto a single mental object. In this picture, each area has its own code. Broca's area has an articulatory record and slightly more anterior to it there is a word code. In the posterior temporal regions, we have an acoustic code, a phonological code, or an orthographic code. The idea is that when you become aware of a word, these codes begin to be synchronized together, and converge to a single integrated mental content.

According to this picture, consciousness is not accomplished by one area alone. There would be no sense in trying to pinpoint consciousness in a single brain area, or in computing the intersection of all the images that exist in the literature on consciousness, in order to find the area for consciousness. Consciousness is a state that involves long distance synchrony between many regions. And during this state, it's not just higher association areas that are activated, because these areas also amplify, in a top-down manner, the lower brain areas that received the sensory message in the first place.

-- from a talk by Stanislas Dehaene recently given in Paris under the sponsorship of EDGE

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> --- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "BruceD" <blroadies@> wrote:
>
> So what? That still says nothing about how conscious persons come to be conscious persons.
> > > he is studying how the brain produces awareness
> >
> > Quote, please. I read him as showing how I use my brain to be conscious.

<snip>

> > "Emergence" suggests discrete levels of analysis required by the
> > emergence of unique phenomena. The link between levels is not causal.
> >
> > bruce
>

> Not what it "suggests", what IS it?
>
> Some think "emergence" refers to someone coming out of his or her bath. Or coming out of a space capsule, say. But surely that isn't what you mean. Sometimes the occurrence of a new feature from some other level of operation is meant, as in the wetness of water is an emergent feature of water's atomic structure. Perhaps that's how you mean it? Sometimes peoople speak of the appearance of something from something else that is otherwise inexplicable. Perhaps THAT is what you have in mind? I shall be obliged if you would give us a bit of an explanation re: this just as I have agreed to find you a quote from the Dehaene talk that demonstrates he is talking about what his whole talk is about to satisfy your skepticism.
>

> We can reconvene here when I have your quote and you are prepared to explain yourself with regard to "emergence", okay?
>
> SWM

6d.

Quoting Dehaene (Re: The Stuart-Bruce Debate: Mind as process)

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Dec 9, 2009 11:07 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "BruceD" <blroadies@...> wrote:

> Quote me where Dehaena is attempting to show that "what brains do result
> in C."

Okay, I have fulfilled my commitment below:

http://www.edge.org/documents/archive/edge306.html

"This idea is relatively simple, and it is not far from the one that Daniel Dennett proposed when he said that consciousness is 'fame in the brain'. What I propose is that 'consciousness is global information in the brain' ? information which is shared across different brain areas. I am putting it very strongly, as 'consciousness is', because I literally think that's all there is. What we mean by being conscious of a certain piece of information is that it has reached a level of processing in the brain where it can be shared.

"Because it is shareable, your Broca's area (or the part of it involved in selecting the words that you are going to speak) is being informed about the identity of what you are seeing, and you become able to name what you are seeing. At the same time, your hippocampus is perhaps informed about what you have just seen, so you can store this representation in memory. Your parietal areas also become informed of what you have seen, so they can orient attention, or decide that this is not something you want to attend to? and so on and so forth. The criterion of information sharing relates to the feeling that we have that, whenever a piece of information is conscious, we can do a very broad array of things with it. It is available.

[...]

7a.

Savoring the Mystery

Posted by: "Joseph Polanik" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:53 am (PST)

BruceD wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>... the relationship between my brain and my experience can seem
>mysterious, especially if I try to think of it as originating in the
>brain.

I believe that the relation between brain and experience *should* seem
mysterious whatever theory of origin we favor; because, no theory can
explain experience (except to the satisfaction of its own advocates).

your remarks, however, suggest that the relation does not seem
mysterious if you try to think of it as originating in some other way.
what way is that?

>I've try to argue, not terribly successfully, that theories of
>origin, whether of matter or mind, are at the border of what we can
>know and that can be seen as an unsolvable mystery.

what would count as success? do you expect researchers to suddenly quit
working?

Joe

--

Nothing Unreal is Self-Aware