[wisb] Re: barred owls VS spotted owls

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Joey Reichhoff <jreichhoff@xxxxxxxxx>, <jbahls@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 16:01:30 -0600

Actually, rather than lumping, it is more the belief that Spotted Owl should be
split into at least 2 separate species.
"Pacific" Spotted Owl and "Mexican" Spotted Owl.  If you check a range map, the
two populations are geographically separated and, on most audio CDs, the two
subspecies are recorded separately.  The two subspecies live in different
habitats, have different breeding and foraging behaviors and don't even sound
the same.  To top it off, from both living in AZ all summer and talking to
people there, I would have a hard time believing that "Mexican" Spotted Owl is
even endangered.  It doesn't appear to have anywhere near the difficulties that
"Pacific" Spotted Owl does.
So with that, IMHO, "Mexican" and "Pacific" Spotted Owls should be split to
separate species. Note that I haven't done the legwork or research needed to
split these two, it's just my opinion on the subject.

I almost wonder whether the same could be applied to Northern and Southern
populations of Barred Owl? The two populations are not geographically
separated, and I know far less about the eastern BAOW population but it is
something interesting to think about.

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)