[wisb] Milwaukee County - Lapland Longspurs

  • From: Petherick Chris <cpetherick@xxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird List Wisconsin Bird List <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 18:05:48 -0600

Hello,

I was looking at diving ducks on Lake Michigan from the south end of
Beach Drive (at the turnaround) in Fox Point but without a scope it
was too difficult to ID any of them.  As I strained to see what was in
the raft of ducks I noticed a Tree Sparrow on the ground about 15 feet
from me (I was in a car).  Among the Tree Sparrows were 2 Lapland
Longspurs.  I watched them for about 20 minutes, there was one male
and one female Longspur.   It definitely was not a spot I ever
expected to see one!  They were right on the rocks at the small bluff
leading to Lake Michigan.

Chris Petherick
Fox Point, Northeastern Milwaukee County