[wisb] Wisconsin Point this morning (jaeger feeding on gull vomit - photos) and more!

  • From: Erik Bruhnke <birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 01:45:00 -0500

I birdwatched at Wisconsin Point this morning with Joey Reichhoff, Daryl
Tessen, and Mike (apologies Mike, for not knowing your last name)... At
least three different jaegers were observed this morning (Tuesday morning).
My personally-observed bird list is below for the morning (Daryl and Joey
will likely have more birds to add, as I had to leave around 9am for working
at the ridge).
Common Loon
Horned Grebe
Double-crested Cormorant
Blue-winged Teal
Gadwall
Red-breasted Merganser
Common Merganser
Bald Eagle
Black-bellied Plover
American Golden Plover
Sanderling
Parasitic Jaeger
Bonaparte's Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Forster's Tern
American Pipit
Lapland Longspur

Below are my favorite photos from this morning. If you click them in the
order which they are listed below, you'll see the pictures in the order
which they were taken. I photographed a jaeger pursuing a gull this
morning... followed by a gull regurgitating food, and the jaeger catching
the bits of recently thrown-up food. It was stunning to watch! Enjoy!!
http://www.pbase.com/image/138249542
http://www.pbase.com/image/138249122
http://www.pbase.com/image/138249120
http://www.pbase.com/image/138249120
http://www.pbase.com/image/138249121
http://www.pbase.com/image/138249123
http://www.pbase.com/image/138249125
http://www.pbase.com/image/138249126
http://www.pbase.com/image/138249128
http://www.pbase.com/image/138249130
http://www.pbase.com/image/138249132 (about to catch the food)
http://www.pbase.com/image/138249134 (regurgitated food in the jaeger's
mouth!)

New-to-the-area jaeger
http://www.pbase.com/image/138249142
http://www.pbase.com/image/138249136

Bonaparte's Gull
http://www.pbase.com/image/138249118

We've been having some great flights past Hawk Ridge too. Here are some
shots Monday, when thousands of raptors were seen in that one day!

BIG Broad-winged Hawk kettle
http://www.pbase.com/image/138228451
http://www.pbase.com/image/138228457

Immature Northern Goshawk
http://www.pbase.com/image/138249539

Good birding,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

--
*NATURALLY AVIAN* - Bird photography and birding trips
www.pbase.com/birdfedr