[wisb] Sooty Shearwater Migration: Santa Cruz, CA

  • From: Tom Sykes <sykes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb] Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 08:32:02 -0700

Carol and I are presently parked in Watsonville, CA to attend the Monterey Bay
Birding Festival which will begin soon. Yesterday we drove to visit the Santa
Cruz Arboretum, part of the University of California Santa Cruz campus. Carol
needed to catch up with a California Thrasher for her ABA list. There were
several on the grounds so she is pleased.

Afterward we visited the Long Marine Lab UCSC marine research station situated
along the ocean in Santa Cruz. This was where we first observed a migration of
Sooty Shearwater. Thousands of the shearwater were massed in rafts as they
found hotspots of food sources - mainly krill. Later as we drove up the coast
where we found thousands more feeding near the Santa Cruz pier. Unfortunately I
didn't have my video camera but I did find a YouTube video that accurately
depicts the feeding frenzy we witnessed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXGP6uYzKhA

Heading to Monterey Bay Aquarium today and on Friday a pelagic trip (my first -
I need to get caught up to Carol's ABA list!).

Tom Sykes (currently near Monterey, CA)
sykes@xxxxxxxxxx