[wisb] Re: Western Sandpiper photos

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 08:19:27 -0500

This is quite an interesting bird, since it doesn't seem to fit any species
perfectly.

I find the comments of Tom Wood, Mark Korducki and Steve Lubahn all
intriguing.  Like Tom, I also wondered about the possibility of a small
Dunlin with an incomplete molt into breeding plumage.  In many respects the
bird is very similar to the Dunlins next to it, but the bill does seem
somewhat small (shortish) for that species.

I agree that although White-rumped should be considered, the bird does seem
a little large for that species, and then there is the problem with the
wingtips not extending prominently beyond the tail, and it lacks the reddish
patch at the base of the lower mandible.  The bill also seems a bit longer
than is typical for White-rumped.

As Steve suggested, hybridism might be considered -- and although still
pretty rare, it does occur from time to time.  "Cox's Sandpiper", for
example, is an occasionally-seen hybrid between Pectoral and Curlew
Sandpipers.

Take a look at the interesting bird at the link below, which I think does
bear some resemblance to Ryan's bird:

http://www.oceanwanderers.com/WayneRichardson.Sandpiper.html

Whatever is determined, I don't think Ryan should be too hard on himself
about his original ID -- in this case it is far from straightforward, and
the resemblance to Western is understandable.  Like Mark, however, my
suspicions were also raised when I saw the photos that showed Dunlins in
close comparison -- with this bird close to that size.  Westerns are a
fairly small peep -- closer to Semipalmated in overall size.

Tom Schultz
Green Lake Co.