[wisb] Re: Western Sandpiper photos

  • From: "Korducki" <korducki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 07:13:15 -0500

Ryan, when I viewed Nick's photos of the bird alone I had no question of ID.
However I was a bit uneasy when looking at your gallery because this bird is
so big-nearly the size of the Dunlin.  I thought why couldn't it be a
White-romped?  Several factors point away from this.  The primary projection
doesn't look long enough.  The wing tips should extend well beyond the tail.
With a slight breeze they often ruffle and stand straight up they are so
long.  I don't get that impression on this bird.  Also a White-rumped should
have a distinct pale base to the lower mandible.  This bird has a black
bill.  This bird also lacks the distinctive black streaks on the flanks.
The bill also suggests Western-fairly long and with a distinct droop but not
quite as long as the Dunlin or a Curlew Sandpiper would show.  A basic
Dunlin would be much grayer.  Did you or Nick see the bird fly to check the
rump?  Great photos and an interesting one to ponder.  To me all appearances
suggest Western but I'm not sure on the size.

Mark Korducki, New Berlin