[wisb] Re: Western Sandpiper photos

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 06:07:43 -0500

The wingtips do not extend beyond the tail which eliminates both
White-rumped and Baird's Sandpipers. The rufous auriculars and downturned
bill eliminate
Semi-palmated Sandpiper. From the photos, the bird does look a little bulky
and large for a Western Sandpiper, so if it is not a Western Sandpiper then
it
would have to be a Dunlin that has not yet attained breeding plumage.
However, in profile, the bill is obviously shorter than the bill of
similarly posed Dunlin.
I have not studied Dunlin sufficiently to know if they have that much
variation in bill length. I would call Ryan's bird a Western Sandpiper too,
pending further
enlightenment about variation in the bill length of Dunlin.

Thomas Wood,Menomonee Falls,Waukesha County