[wisb] Waterloo CBC today - Meadowlark sp.

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 20:11:36 -0600

Jim "Eagle Eye" Schwarz and I did our area of the Waterloo CBC today in biting
cold (but the light was good!)  Our area was essentially the northwest corner
of Jefferson County, with part of another area in eastern Dane Co.  We had two
really good spots.  In the morning, on the deadend Stoney Creek Rd. off County
B in Jefferson Co., we had an E. Bluebird, Am. Robin and immature Cooper's Hawk
in the same spot (the Coop may explain why there were so few other birds around
despite a bit of open stream and good cover.)

After lunch, we were driving past the first farm on Island Church Rd. east of
Waterloo when we stopped to check for birds.  Jim spotted a bird flying towards
and then behind the car.  I jumped out to check it and was surprised to see it
was a Meadowlark - nice view of the white tail corners as it took off from the
side of the road.  We then got out Jim's scope to check a couple of other
chunky birds hanging out by the cattle yard, which turned out to be female
Red-winged Blackbirds.  We also had a BH Cowbird at a feeder earlier in the
day.  Other highlights were Fox, White-throated and Song Sparrows at one spot
in Jefferson Co., and a couple of GC Kinglets about six feet away from us in a
conifer stand in the Waterloo W.A. Only real disappointment was not seeing any
Shrikes, after totalling FIVE of them in the same area last year.

By the way, we drove in to check the Prairies and Potholes public hunting area
just northeast of Deerfield in Dane Co. (adjacent to the Goose Lake W.A.,) and
I was stunned to see that it now truly is "Prairies" and Potholes - all of the
trees in the rather extensive wooded area by the parking lot have been cut
down.  That had been a very productive CBC area - no longer.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.