[wisb] Killdeer, Port Washington

  • From: Schaufenbuel <schaufenbuel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 20:04:25 -0600

With a few open hours I made the trip down to Port Washington.

Arriving at 10:57 AM the very first bird I saw was the Black-legged
Kittiwake.  It was alone at the spillway dodging fishing lines the
entire 15 minutes I was there.  Minutes after first finding the
Kittiwake I heard a Killdeer and spotted the plover coming from the
south through the fog.  It landed several times, lastly on a bare patch
of grass and moved off to the southwest into Port Washington.  Fog kept
me from seeing much else in the cold.  With little time to spare I moved
on to Sheboygan where the highlight was a Dunlin.  I was there for less
than fifteen minutes then headed home.

One last note is of the 16 raptors found only two (an A. Kestrel and
R.-t. Hawk) were more than 10 miles from Lake Michigan.  The total: Bald
Eagle 4; Cooper's Hawk  2;  Rough-legged Hawk 2;  Red-tailed Hawk 5; N.
Harrier 2; and A. Kestrel 1.

Joe Schaufenbuel
Stevens Point,
Portage Co., WI