[wisb] Re: Waterloo CBC today - Meadowlark sp.

  • From: Karen Etter Hale <chimneyswift1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 21:13:44 -0600

The cold was biting yesterday, that's for sure, especially when we were
scoping directly into the northwest wind, but we had an excellent day
nevertheless.

Jim Kerler and I did the Lake Mills and Faville Grove Sanctuary portion
of the Waterloo CBC, starting at 7:05 with 2 tundra swans that were on
the only open portion of Rock Lake. They took off and were gone before
we even got the scope set up, so it's a good thing we got there when we
did. Then we struggled to count everything else as our eyes kept tearing
up in the wind: 170 common goldeneyes, ~300 coots, 32 common mergansers,
and 4 bald eagles! We returned after lunch, hoping for better
conditions. Nope. But the birds were spread out a bit more, so we were
able to pick up 1 ring-necked duck and 2 lesser scaup. 31 mallards and 6
Canada geese at the Fish Hatchery rounded out our waterfowl count.

The rest of the day seemed practically balmy in comparison (well, not
really - except for the sunny spot on the south side of the conifer
plantation). We had good numbers of most of the usual species. One fox
sparrow was a surprise. We ended the day with 34 species, 10 more than
last year.

No song sparrows (19 last year), kinglets (2 last year), or brown
creepers (1 last year). Each year is different, which is one very good
reason to keep counting!

Karen Etter Hale
Lake Mills
NW Jefferson Co.