[wisb] Re: Swans still present today - Jefferson Park - Winnebago County

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 19:38:51 -0600

It would be great to see these swans a little closer. I was there yesterday
from 2:30-3:30 P.M and saw 6 Tundra Swans fly in and swim to the ice where
the
other swans were located. I'm sure these were Tundra Swans because I saw the
feathering (not triangular) of the forehead and I also saw the yellow loral
mark on one of the adults (The other 5 consisted of 2 adults and 3 immature
and were the same size) . There were a total of 16 swans and most of them
were sleeping. The Mute Swan stood out because of its much larger size, and
I was looking for another of similar size which would have been a Trumpeter,
but all the sleeping swans seemed to be the same size as the obvious Tundra
Swans, so I figured I missed the Trumpeters, but was surprised at the number
of Tundra Swans for this time of year. Today, Dar saw Trumpeters so I'm
wondering how many there actually are of each species.

Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County