[wisb] Lake Michigan today

  • From: tom prestby <jjprestby@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 18:06:39 -0600

I birded Lake Michigan this afternoon between Sheboygan and Port Washington. I
did more photography than birding this time but did have a few birding
highlights. Sheboygan had a great concentration of large winter gulls-- 26
GREAT BLACK-BACKED (16 near North Point and 10 in the river mouth) and 17
GLAUCOUS (9 near North Point and 8 in the river mouth) of all sorts of
different ages. These are personal high counts for me for both species. There
was a probable 1st-winter Thayer's Gull at the river mouth but the bird was too
far away to be positive.

Kohler Andrae SP had a nice group of Scaup but nothing unusual. Harrington
Beach had a SNOW GOOSE (white) with a large group of Canadas-- the group was
hanging out between HWY D and the point of land to the south. From the point I
saw a few Long-tailed Ducks but no scoters or loons.

The BL Kittiwake in Port Washington was ridiculously accommodating just north
of the gazebo next to the furthest-south pier.

Tom Prestby
Milwaukee