[wisb] Kittiwake update

  • From: <dkuecherer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 20:53:30 +0000

The Juvenile/1st Winter Black-legged Kittiwake in Port Washington is still
there. Interesting to mention is that in the past three plus weeks it has taken
me only about 10 seconds to locate it except for once.  I check on it daily as
I am only 5-7 minutes from the harbor.  It seems to have taken up residence on
one of the inward slip docks.  With out boats being in the slips, one could
call them piers.  I have been photographing the Kittiwake since it's arrival...
A few thousand shots as photographers with digital can imagine.  95% deleted
and only about 20 in my photo program that seem to be the best.  I have been
comparing the photos closely each day.  Many different field guides and
references state generally the same write up with small differences.  Sibley
states that the markings of the Juvenile/1st winter is from Aug - April.
Sibley also states that the 1st Summer is from March - Sep. So... Sibley is
stating that sometime between Mar and April the Kittiwake will begin to display
different markings.  We are now closing in on the end of February.  My photos
do not show any difference in markings since the bird arrived.  I keep looking
for the terminal black neck band, facial patch and black tail feathers to begin
to fade.  It has not happened.  We know that the Kittiwake is not going to
change overnight... Any thoughts on this?
Dennis Kuecherer
Saukville, WI