[wisb] Re: ID Help/Pleasant Valley (Dane Co.)

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx>, <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 16:15:33 -0600

Mike, I agree the first bird is a Tennessee Warbler, although to my knowledge
age/sex classes cannot be determined without bird in hand, except for adult
males, which your bird is not. Among other features your bird most notably has
white undertail coverts -- these are some shade of yellow in Orange-crowned
Warbler. Check out the WI eBird story on this identification issue at:

http://ebird.org/content/wi/news/tricky-fall-warblers-orange-crowned-warbler

I agree with Jesse about the second bird.

On another note, the back end of the migration is underway up north here with
influxes of Yellow-rumped and Palm Warblers, along with my first Ruby-crowned
Kinglets of the year.

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady