[wisb] ID Help/Pleasant Valley (Dane Co.)

  • From: Mike Duchek <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 12:32:51 -0500

Went to Pleasant Valley Conservancy near Black Earth this morning.  Only had a
little time to go look but very nice day and a fair amount of activity there.
After not hearing or seeing red-headed woodpeckers there all summer, today was
the opposite.  At one point up on the hill there were what seemed like at least
5 around me.  Very chatty and vocal at times and doing their "screams."  Did
not see any juveniles for sure, but I'm guessing they were there.  Other 4
species (D, H, RB  and flicker) of woodpeckers there too.

Also many pink legged/pink billed sparrows there - I assume field sparrows.

Up on top near where the prairie up there begins and the savannah/woods ends
there was some warbler and other activity.

This one looks to me like orange crowned warbler but not the best shot so not
sure.

http://image75.webshots.com/175/6/37/31/2018637310059461204ZbOpfN_fs.jpg

This one I am not sure.  No obvious eye ring.

http://image55.webshots.com/855/4/79/76/2788479760059461204VXlPHq_fs.jpg

http://image75.webshots.com/175/7/98/85/2800798850059461204zIgKhM_fs.jpg

Any thoughts?

Finally at one point I thought I heard a red-breasted nuthatch.  Has anyone
seen any in Dane Co. lately?

Also red-tailed hawk, pewees, eastern bluebirds, sandhill cranes (across the
road), and I think I saw a RE vireo.

-Mike Duchek, Madison, Dane Co.