[wisb] ID Help

  • From: Chris Petherick <cpetherick@xxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 15:38:24 -0500

I just observed a small, vireo-like bird.  I say vireo-like, because I'm not
100% it was a vireo, maybe a warbler.

ID points are as follows - light, cream color below, drab, dark/brown above.
No wing bars.  Bill was all dark.  There was a very distinct and noticeable
(I guess those are the same) dark streak through the eye that was the same
color as the cap and the rest of the upper - dark/brown.  The other thing I
noticed was that along the outer edges of the tail had white specks or dots.
Very small, only noticeable when I had binoculars on it, even though this
bird was only 15 feet from me.  It never called.

100% sure it is not a red-eyed vireo.  My choices seem to be Philadelphia
Vireo or Tennessee Warbler.  However, the books I have all show the Philly
Vireo as yellowish below with grayish/olive above.  This bird was definitely
brown above with a cream colored below, no tinges of yellow at all.  Also,
maybe the specking on the tail doesn't show up in the books??  Otherwise,
maybe a female Tennessee Warbler.  There was no contrast between the eye
stripe and the "hood", both were consistent with each other in color -
brown.  I don't have any good pictures of the breeding plumage, female
Tennessee Warbler, but it appears that may be what it was.  The bill seemed
large and less pointed than it would have been for a Tennessee, but the lack
of yellow and the definite contrast between upper and lower seems to be
pointing me in that direction.

Thanks for any help, wish I had a picture.  I'm waiting for it to reappear!

Chris Petherick

Fox Point, Milwaukee County