[wisb] Re: I.D. Help

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: deerpix@xxxxxxxxx, "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 08:07:59 -0500

I'd concur with Bernie - Hermit Thrush.  The reddish wing (and tail, if we
could see it in the photo,) contrasting with an olive-brown back is key.
Hermits also have a habit of raising their tail and letting it drop slowly -
the other "brown" thrushes don't do that.  There has been a big push of Hermits
going through the last few days with the southerly winds.

One thing for beginning birders to remember is to look at range maps in your
field guide.  You'll notice that you don't even see a winter range for any of
the brown thrushes except the Hermit, which spends the colder months in the
southern U.S. and nearby.  That's why they are the first ones back in Spring,
and even occasionally overwinter up here.  All the others are neotropical
migrants that have a lot farther to come.  There tends to be a huge slug of
Hermits coming through in late April, which is already tapering off quickly as
the other thrush species begin to trickle in at the end of the month.

Peter Fissel
Madison WI