[wisb] ID Help

  • From: Peg home <pegbiltgen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 20:51:30 -0500

I have a yard full of every changing young birds, seems like each day brings
change.  I have been scouring my field journals (thanks for all the suggestions
on guides for young birds) trying to identify them in their different stages of
life.  I must say it is very confusing, but, also quite fun.  Like a ever
changing living puzzle.

I get very excited when I finally identify the bird.  I have found a new
passion in photographing the birds, so, this helps me greatly as I am learning.

Which brings me to the reason for the request for help.
I believe that I have a 1st year male Rose-breasted Grosbeak. Again, it may be
a female, but, the heavy head stripes make me lean towards the 1st year male.

The second one is probably a very common finch, but, the head strip has me
stumped. Perhaps a young female or a male fledgling. I can't find any matching
photos in my guides.

Any help would be appreciated.