[wisb] Re: FW: Snowy Owl - Trempealeau County Near Galesville

  • From: Gwyn Calvetti <gwyntells@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DanJackson@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 17:53:56 -0600

I just got back from a failed attempt at trying to get good photos of the
owl.  It was in the field of AA as Dan reported.  A neighbor walked out
into the field to get a look and it took flight, landing on a phone pole
along AA.  I was able to spend some time watching it, and was sticking my
lens out my car window when another car gave a honk.  I suppose he thought
I'd be exiting the vehicle.  The bird then took flight across the fields in
an easterly direction toward highway 54, until I could no longer spot it. I
tried to relocate it after that without success.  It was still cool to find
my own owl, even if the best I could do was a distant flight shot with
hardly any face showing!
  Having got a closer look while it was on the phone pole, I'd agree that
it was a female. It was HUGE!

Gwyn Calvetti
LaCrosse County

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 3:16 PM, Dan Jackson <DanJackson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I just saw some pictures that were taken of the bird that weren't from an
> angle looking directly into the sun.  Based on those, the bird is actually
> a juvenile female.  I goofed.....
> It was seen flying across Hwy 53 and it went somewhere to the north of the
> highway.  There is an extensive open area in that direction (north on
> County AA) where it could end up.
>
> Dan Jackson
> Chaseburg, Vernon County, WI  (near La Crosse)
> www.pbase.com/dejackson

Gwyn Calvetti
Oh, the stories I could tell you!
Contributing Author, "Telling Stories to Children," NSN
Wisconsin Humanities Council Speakers Bureau Member, 2006-10