[wisb] Milwaukee Lakefront, 2/7/12 - Great (and Lesser) Black-backed Gull, etc.

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 15:57:18 -0800 (PST)

Yesterday (2/7/12) was a nasty day to be out, especially at Milwaukee's
Lakeshore State Park, where there was nothing to block the damp and harsh NNE
wind off of the lake. Worst conditions on a birding trip so far this winter.

Looks like the Long-tailed duck has flown the coop. Haven't seen him in several
days. A few decent highlights though:

* Pretty sure I saw a female Barrow's Goldeneye in the harbor south of
Discovery World. Bill color and head shape were consistent with Barrow's. Not
sure I could convince a records committee, but sure enough to check off on my
informal year list. Also, there have been several Barrow's reported in NE
Illinois recently. (NOTE: Could not relocate the bird today, 2/8/12).

* A few nice gulls on the ice between Lakeshore State Park and the Summerfest
grounds:

 - Great Black-backed Gull. This beautiful bird caught my eye from 100 yards
away. At first I thought it was a black bird and a white bird sitting next to
each other. As I drew closer I realized what it was. I got pretty close and
observed it for about a minute on the ice before it took off. Stunningly
beautiful bird in flight! Very large gull. The deep black on the wings and back
contrasted sharply with the bright white on the head and tail, as well as the
thin line of white on the trailing edge of the wings! Very majestic bird...gets
my vote for most beautiful gull.

- Lesser Black-backed Gull. Cool looking bird, but nowhere near as cool as the
Great Black-backed.

- Thayer's Gull.

* American Black Duck. Several, in Lakeshore State Park, hanging with a
probable female Black Duck/Mallard hybrid.

* Blue-winged Teal, hanging with the Mallards.

* Bufflehead. Seven males swimming in single file in Milwaukee Harbor. First
male dives. A second later the second male dives. Etc., all the way down the
line. Looked like synchronized swimming. :-)

* Coopers Hawk. Veterans Park. Haven't seen one in a couple of months. Made me
realize I've been focusing exclusively on waterbirds lately. :-)

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee