[wisb] Dowitcher ID - what do you think?

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 19:45:29 -0600

Short version...what species are represented by these dowitchers seen in
Ashland yesterday?

http://www.pbase.com/rbrady/dowitcherid
http://www.pbase.com/nanich/dowitchers

Longer version... Sam Krerowicz found three dowitchers just west of Ashland
yesterday and then Nick Anich and I headed out to take a look after work. We
didn't have much time and expected Short-billeds, even though it's slightly
earlier (by about a week) than we usually see them. We walked up and tried
turning them into Long-billeds. We thought we might have 1 LB and 2 SBs at one
point and then convinced ourselves they were all just the expected SBs as LBs
are quite rare here. We soon left to return to our fatherly duties but later
last night that ID didn't sit well with us. After some chatting Nick and I
started to convince ourselves that Bird C had to be a LB. Then we were leaning
toward all 3 being LBs. Then we were just downright confused. And here we
are...confused. This is a tough ID and one Nick and I frankly are not
comfortable with. We butchered the whole process as we could've had killer
photos of the birds in perfect light but our hurriedness resulted in mostly
poor digiscopes and heavily cropped dSLR shots, which are in the two galleries
above.

What do you think? I've labeled the individuals in my gallery for ease of
referencing Birds A, B, and C during discussion.

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady