[wisb] Blue Grosbeak (Sauk Co.) - YES today

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2014 15:26:45 -0500

I had a brief but definitive look at the male Blue Grosbeak at Spring Green
Preserve West this morning.  Dan Doeppers and I had walked up the old two-track
from the parking area as far as where the trees get thick, and were heading
back.  We were getting close to the parking area, when I heard a song off to
the east that sounded different from the vociferous Orchard Oriole that had
been singing most of the time we were there.  Then I saw a medium-sized bird
flying west over the trail.  I got on it, and saw it was all-blue, with a big
bill.  It landed on a small shrubby oak, and I quickly got the scope on it.  It
was the male Blue Grosbeak - gorgeous bird, with bright chestnut-orange
wingbars.  Just as Dan stepped up to look through the scope, the bird flew over
to the nearby larger tree, and we could not refind it, although I heard it
continue to sing for several minutes after that.  We hung around for a while,
but the bird must have flown farther off to the west/northwest, based on the
last time I heard it sing.    This was probably around 11:00 a.m.

Peter Fissel
Madison WI