[wisb] Re: Blue Grosbeak (Sauk Co.) - YES today

  • From: "Mike Duchek" <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 20:18:55 -0500

Jasonn Weber and I had it today as well, west of the two track.  It now appears
as I look at the maps that area might have been just outside the preserve, but
as far as I could tell there were no markers anywhere.  We had a couple brief
looks (Jasonn found it first before I was able to get a couple of looks with
him) and then it kinda disappeared.  But it was easy to ID once we saw it.  As
Peter mentioned, there were also ORCHARD ORIOLES (and BALTIMORE) in the area
singing, as well as other expected species.  HORNED LARKS were heard and seen
everywhere in the nearby farmfields and roadside.  At the main part of the
preserve we had LARK (easy, right as you come in) and GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS.  We
had DICKCISSELS at a few locations near Barnevald/Blue Mounds.  I am now
realizing I may be mixed up between the Thomson Prairie (TNC) and the
Schuch-Thomson Prairie (TPE), but I’m not sure.  Either way, we missed out on
upland sandpipers and the Bell’s vireo previously reported, but I’m now not
sure we were looking in the right place due to that confusion on my part... ;/
-Mike Duchek, Madison, Dane Co.