[windows2000] Re: checking hotfixes

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 12:48:59 -0700

From: "Craig Brannigan" <craigb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I am sorry but I couldn't help myself with replying here.....

I have been with this list a little while now and enjoyed the use of it,
both when I have needed to ask a question and watching the 'discussions'
back and forth for other peoples questions.

I am most certainly not a very 'active' member, by the time I get to see
the questions posed they have been answered by others. The problems with
being here in New Zealand and a time difference...

It would never be my intention to offend anybody on this list by being
this way.

I understand the use of various books/tech refs/manuals and google, I
live by them. We all understand that in this industry that if you are
not constantly learning you are being left behind.

There will always be people who will look for the easy answer and they,
when given no/little help, will be the first to complain about perceived
list users arrogance/comments.

But would any of us be on any list if we didn't want to help?

I resent the term PICNIC (I hate picnics, too many bugs, bad cooking and
the beers never cold...;-)), is it better to not reply to something that
has been answered many times over or flood the list with replies
everyone has already seen?

Chris/Ray - I have enjoyed your comments on the many questions you have
answered, they have provided myself with valuable help for my sites (and
at times a lot of laughs ;-).

Jim - Have enjoyed the list even with all of the changes you have been
forced to make to continue providing the list, I hope it is ok to carry
on doing so.

Regards, Craig.

As far as I'm concerned you don't have anything to worry about, I never had a problem with lurkers, just with people who are totally lazy such that they couldn't be bothered to even spend ten seconds looking on google first. Everyone is blowing this way out of proportion. All I ever asked of people was that they attempt to solve their problem before posting, alot of the time, you get much faster results that way anyways. I don't mind answering even the simplest question as long as it's clear that the person geniunely tried to figure it out, it's just that once in a while someone like Sen comes along and thinks that we're his first resource rather than his last. I'm not a big RTFM flamer either, I think I only say that like once a year or something when it's just so incredibly obvious the person needs to be hit with a clue stick.

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Q: How many software engineers does it take to change a lightbulb ?
A: It can't be done; it's a hardware problem."