[windows2000] Re: Remote Desktop through a firewall

  • From: "Martin, Eddie" <EMartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:47:10 -0500

The IP is assigned dynamically by the users cable modem company.  They have
a software firewall (BlackIce Defender) running on the pc.  I will open up
the port for that machine. I should have a hardware firewall on it first,
before I do this right?  Also, what is your opinion on BlackIce as a
firewall/protection from hackers, ect.

Eddie

From: Martin, Eddie [mailto:EMartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]

How can you setup a firewall whether it be a hardware or software
firewall to allow Remote Assistance in XP (Remote Desktop) traffic to
come through?  Is it simply a matter of just allowing the traffic from a
certain port to come through or are there other steps that need to be
taken along with this to ensure that the person connecting remotely will
be able to get through?

Eddie Martin