[windows2000] Re: OT: I've Had it with Outlook

  • From: "Charles R. Buchanan" <crbgfblab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 08:14:13 -0800

What I don't understand is that while I don't claim to know it all and
so forth, I have seen (I'm sure others as well) M$ just take off. I
started off with a Vic-20, upgraded to the C-64, then the 128. From
there to the Mac. That's when I really started getting into computers
heavily. I ran a BBS from my Mac, but a lot of friends were using PC's.
So with a little help from them, I put together my first PC. Ran a bbs
from that as well. Purely dos. I had a couple of M$ products for my Mac,
my favorite was flight simulator! :-)  Anyway, Win3.1/1, came along, and
as they say the rest is history. More and more programs that use to be
prevalent started disappearing. Don't know if they were bought out or
went out of business. I do believe that one database program dBase, and
others. Wordperfect was almost the defacto word processor, now you don't
hear too much about it.

Is/was all of this M$ fault? The bottom line is, (some of) the people
wanted the program(s) to do this, and to do that. Look how long it has
taken M$ to do what the Mac was doing 20 years ago! :-O With all these
wants, programs have really bloated up. Not sitting here saying that
their (M$) hands are clean, I'm sure they're not, however, the one
common thing I see and have seen is, people have always had a choice.
Sort of like a person driving a H2 Hummer that gets 4 miles to the
gallon complaining about the price of gas! HUH? Some people like Linux,
some people don't. Some people like Windows, but hate Office. Some
people like Linux, but wish that a certain windows app could be ported.
Some windows users want things that run on linux ported to windows. Go
figure!

Some people are downright maniacs when it comes to either for or against
linux and/or M$. A lot of time to the point of being really stupid, along
with the Mac versus PC debates. People will have their own likes and
dislikes and a lot of people just can't accept that for one reason or
another. Take Ray for instance. You'd think he worked in the marketing
department of M$. :-)  From what I can tell, he REALLY likes the
programs he works with. What is so wrong with that? Meanwhile, Mr "I
think Bill Gates caused 9-11 and the attack at Pearl Harbor, Linux is
the best thing since sex" comes along and berates someone (like Ray)
because he (Ray) isn't using Linux and it's beyond his comprehension
that Linux isn't for everyone, and the more you try and stuff it down
people's throats, the more resistance you will find. So no, this isn't
an endorsement for M$, it's an endorsement for using whatever trips your
trigger. If everyone used the same thing, and thought the same thing,
this world probably wouldn't be worth living in. IMO of course! :-)

Hmm? That's two rants from me this morning! :-O

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 09:00:49 +0200, Errol & Estelle Sapir <errol@xxxxxxxxxxx>
had this to say:

E&ES> Should I, Shouldn't I
E&ES> Get into this discussion???????
E&ES> I can't resist.
E&ES> Microsoft has two factors that are commendable IMHO.
E&ES> 1. Amazing marketing  capabilities. They know how to sell, period. They
E&ES> undercut,  destroy or buy out the opposition -all legit I guess in the
E&ES> business world.
E&ES> 2. They invested heavily in translating (almost ) ALL their products to
E&ES> foreign languages which gives them THE edge in countries such as mine.
E&ES>
E&ES> BUT
E&ES> from my point of view as a user (and buyer) there are better, cheaper
E&ES> programs and OS's out there.  Had I been in a only English environment I
E&ES> would long ago been using Linux. As Open Office is making great strides
E&ES> in Hebrew, I am experimenting with a microsoft free computer, more and
more.
E&ES> Errol