[windows2000] Free Program List

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 15:58:28 -0700

We're on a low budget here, and I've spent alot of time finding free
programs, I thought I might share a short list of some of the better ones,
and perhaps some other people on the list have some suggestions as well.
(in no particular order)

1) Mozilla - Great internet web browser, blocks pop ups, tabbed view, new
version even supports NTLM
2) Reg Cleaner -  Written by Jouni Vourio, does an excellent job at clearing
out the junk entries, doesn't alwasy work well on multi-processor machines,
but I've never had it CAUSE a problem, even on my servers.
3) FileZilla -  FTP program GPL license, used to use SmartFTP but it's no
longer free for commercial use
4) SpybotSD - Great for removing all that AD and SPYWARE junk, has an
immunizer for IE
5) EasyTerm - Terminal Emulator for gui telnet sessions
6) OpenOffice - Everything you need in an office package, has 98% of the
features of MS Office, can open and save in MS format, we use it here for
just about everything.
7) TaskPLUS - Calendar program with alarm, can't live without it, schedule
everything on this sucker
8) GPG + WinPT front end - Good PGP replacement, GPL licence works great for
all your encryption needs, WinPT is very easy to use drag and drop type
system.
9) VNC - Remote desktop control
10) OpenSSH - Secure shell for remote command line, file transfer, etc., and
can pipe other services (like VNC) for extra security.
11) Wordweb - Dictionary & Thesarus
12) Jabber - Good instant messaging system, we use it on our intranet, I
have a write up on how to install the whole system.
13) PasswordSafe - Securely stores all your passwords using 448 blowfish
encryption
14) Zipcentral - Great replacement for winzip, better in my opinion
15) ActivePorts - Gui port to process matcher, nice for tracking down what's
going on
16) Packemon - Gui packet capture and analysis for seeing what's
transmitting on your network
17) MaxMem - Optimizes your memory usage, gives you that "just rebooted"
speed
18) Md5sum - Let you create and verify file checksums
19) ActiveState Perl - Best sysadmin tool yet, lets you glue all that other
junk together
20) ServiceMaker - Lets you turn any program into a service, very cool

There's more but those are the gems, what do you think?

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"This email is ROT26 encrypted, by reading it you are in violation of the
DMCA, and should turn yourself in to the authorities immediately."