[windows2000] Re: Announcing beta release of Windows Vista SP1!

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 08:51:42 +0200

Charles R. Buchanan <> wrote on Friday, September 28, 2007 7:58 PM:

Running games on a 32b-windows os (incl Vista") with more than 3GB of RAM will
freeze it. Only solution is to use a 64b OS. I think the same limitation may
be with 32b-linux as well.

32b OS:es are long since old hat. I've been running WinXP SP2 x64 for more
than a year now and have had my irritations. Most have been solved with
workarounds and I like the stability better with XP x64, after all it's built
on Win2k3 Server...

I recently got a 64b-aware UPHClean 2.0 from MS to try out. Profile-problem
have been an issue for ever since the start with XP x64. Seems like it's now
been resolved.

Only thing left is for MS to release the 64b Power toys, and I'm happy. 8-)

> [...]
> and buy a Fan/heatsink for it, and also the memory.
>
> Speaking of such, it states in the manual that it is recommended that
> less than 3GB of ram be installed if running the 32bit version of XP or
> Vista. I heard that someone where else I do believe. Seeing that
> developing 64 bit apps are at a crawl, looks like the full memory
> capacity of the MB will never be seen/realized! :-O
>

> On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 08:54:23 +0200, "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> came up with this:
>
>> Charles R. Buchanan <> wrote on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 6:39 PM:
>>
>> You really need 2GB of RAM to make Vista happy and run at the (somewhat)
>> same speed as XP?
>>
>> What kind of cpu (and other hw) do run your Vista on? Stationary or
>> portable?
>>
>> I've only tried Vista as a VM in VMWare Server as RC2 or something like
>> that and it of course sucked big time, but that was rather expected. The
>> only other Vista I've run was on a spanking brand new HP 6715s notebook I
>> bought for one of the staff at the dept. It came with Vista Basic
>> preinstalled and run off of an AMD Turion 3200+ or something like that and
>> had 1G RAM. From first switching it on until I could logon and check it
>> out, it took more than two hours... Well in, it felt really sluggish. I
>> checked the overall index on it and it was 3, with about half of the
>> checked things at 4. Assuming 5 is top notch I was rather dissapointed
>> with Vista. It wasn't like the Basic-version runs a lot bling-bling, bells
>> and whistles.
>>
>> I nuked this Vista install and installed XP SP2 and sure enough it felt a
>> lot more speedy, slick and smooth. Granted portables are almost always more
>> sluggish than their stationary variants, but this much??
>>
>> We're not going Vista anytime soon... In best case scenario, not until
>> 2011, or whenever XP isn't supported anymore.
>>

>>> Actually I when I got the Business version and installed it, I was
>>> pleasantly surprised that I actually liked it. It took me awhile to let
>>> go of W2K in favor of XP, but once I did, there was no looking back! :-)
>>>
>>> Sure there are a couple of things that I didn't like, such as, I now
>>> have to go out and buy a more expensive sound card because SB doesn't
>>> support the Live 5.1 card any more, thus no Vista drivers. I like Kerio
>>> firewall, but it won't install under Vista so I have to use Zone Alarm.
>>> :-O
>>>
>>> I have also found that Vista likes it better if you install it on a
>>> primary (active) partition when dual booting. :-(  XP is the primary OS
>>> on this machine and since I have sound card issues, I have to keep XP
>>> because that is where my games are located! :-) The overall speed though
>>> is what REALLY surprised me though. I have 2gb of ram so that helps a
>>> LOT, and I haven't tried the ready boost feature, but that's suppose to
>>> speed things up too from what I heard.
>>>
>>> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:19:32 -0400, "Jim Kenzig ThinHelp.com"

Kenzig