[windows2000] Re: Announcing beta release of Windows Vista SP1!

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 08:54:23 +0200

Charles R. Buchanan <> wrote on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 6:39 PM:

You really need 2GB of RAM to make Vista happy and run at the (somewhat) same
speed as XP?

What kind of cpu (and other hw) do run your Vista on? Stationary or portable?

I've only tried Vista as a VM in VMWare Server as RC2 or something like that
and it of course sucked big time, but that was rather expected. The only other
Vista I've run was on a spanking brand new HP 6715s notebook I bought for one
of the staff at the dept. It came with Vista Basic preinstalled and run off of
an AMD Turion 3200+ or something like that and had 1G RAM. From first
switching it on until I could logon and check it out, it took more than two
hours... Well in, it felt really sluggish. I checked the overall index on it
and it was 3, with about half of the checked things at 4. Assuming 5 is top
notch I was rather dissapointed with Vista. It wasn't like the Basic-version
runs a lot bling-bling, bells and whistles.

I nuked this Vista install and installed XP SP2 and sure enough it felt a lot
more speedy, slick and smooth. Granted portables are almost always more
sluggish than their stationary variants, but this much??

We're not going Vista anytime soon... In best case scenario, not until 2011,
or whenever XP isn't supported anymore.

<mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>      > >> [mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] *On Behalf Of *Jim
Kenzig