Re: Mouse scroll wheel in wily

  • From: Davor Cubranic <cubranic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wilyfans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 07:30:10 -0800

> Weird, I cannot get regular expressions to search backwards (?bla?).
>
> Looking at the source code, I believe that findend (in search.c) treats
> "-/" as backwards regex search. Isn't this is in conflict with the
> online docs, which mention "?pattern?" searches backwards.

Silly me, after I send out my last email, I found this mentioned twice
in the archives of the newsgroup (messages that are over 5 years old).
Adding handling "?pattern?" search.c should be easy enough, or should
the code be left as-is and the docs updated instead? I know it doesn't
make any difference for those who have used acme/wily for a while, but
it discrepancies like that won't impress any newcomers.

BTW, I remember reading in the archives about "sensible" B3
auto-expansion, and how it can't handle certain wildcards. I can't find
the original posting now (probably can't think of the right search
terms), but is there any reason why B3 shouldn't accept all regex
meta-characters (especially ?, [, ], and |) during auto-expansion
if it can get the expanded selection to start with a ":", when it can be
fairly certain that it's a regular expression? If that fails, then it
can simply go back to the current behaviour.