[webproducers] Re: [wwwac] Vetting long distance clients.

  • From: Ruth Kaufman <ruth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 00:54:10 -0400

On 10.16.02 11:31 PM, "Lee Semel" <lsemel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ruth,
>
> On a related note, how do you handle it when the situation goes the other way
> -- when the client continually delays, unable to respond with deliverables and
> approvals?  For instance I was dealing with a person who, according to our
> contract, was the main contact for the project and responsible for al
> deliverables and approvals.  However, it turned out she needed to get a
> consensus of all the partners in the company, approximately 10 people, to make
> any decision, even on small things such as a homepage blurb or colors.  Do you
> build in penalties into the contract for the failure of the client to live up
> to the agreed schedule?
>
> Lee

I haven't encountered this situation as a contractor, but I have been the
client in this type of situation -- I was the liaison between my company and
the design firm and had to coordinate all deliverables and approvals. The
only thing I can offer is to help make my job as the client and liaison as
easy as possible. Sometimes this requires a finite set of options (about 3)
so that the executive decision makers don't have to think too hard about a
seemingly mundane decision that they happen to be responsible for.

In cases where this approach doesn't make sense or isn't possible, then I
would recommend a) a frank discussion with the client's liaison (the role I
played) to get a sense of the feasibility of moving forward on schedule; b)
a policy called "no tolerance for slippage" (quoted from Ernst & Young
project managers), where a delay in any milestone is unacceptable by any
party -- and such a delay will result in g-d knows what, because to be
perfectly honest, I wasn't involved in those conversations; c) if you are
inclined to counter with client-oriented penalties -- a delay in
deliverables -- I can't see a financial penalty except in the case that it
actually costs you extra to delay (paying sub-contractors, etc.).

To be perfectly honest, I think that emotions play a big role in this, even
if they shouldn't. It comes down to guilt and "saving face". The liaison's
company won't necessarily understand that it is their own fault for a delay,
and may ultimately blame the liaison. This kind of pressure could provoke
him/her to make independent decisions. Therefore, it's also about
influencing behavior. This isn't part of a "kinder, gentler nation". But it
is realistic. Get the liaison to be your ally. Middle managers have more
power than they believe they have in a company. Believe me, there's nothing
an exec wants more than a middle manager who can make good decisions.

Not sure if this helps. I may have more to add tomorrow. In the meantime, I
welcome discussion.