[webproducers] Re: [wwwac] Vetting long distance clients.

  • From: Ruth Kaufman <ruth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Carl Friedberg <friedberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>,<lsugarman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <wwwac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:44:57 -0400

On 10.16.02 2:32 PM, "Carl Friedberg" <friedberg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As a consultant, when I get a new client, I always insist on billing my
> first day's time immediately, and wait for that check to be cashed,
> before I put in any serious work. After the first check, with most
> companies, subsequent payments tend to come out on a more-or-less
> regular basis. It's the first check that can raise the red flags.

Likewise, in a recent experience I had with a "difficult" client (who
happened to also be long distance -- Paris), I stated clearly in the
Statement of Work that work would not commence before receiving payments in
hand (as per the payment and production schedule) AND that any delays in
payment, client deliverables, and feedback would result in a delay in the
deadline -- no leniency on this point.

On a tangent, this was the same client who wanted to penalize me for
lateness -- I had posted about that a few weeks ago. The specific request
for the penalty structure was set forth during our first encounter and
entailed a "discount" for each day the project was late; the client left it
to me to define what this "discount" would be. (mini-rant: do I look like a
masochist??)

Further to that demand for a penalty structure, I increased my prices
(without actually letting him know), stated that my pricing was not
negotiable, and insisted that I create the schedule including all milestones
and deadlines. I offered choices in terms of project scope enable him to
control costs and deadlines, but did not budge on prices and policy. In the
end, although my client was apparently more comfortable with my hard-line
approach (I suppose he believed that I truly intended to deliver on my
commitments), I still walked away from the business because I had a strong
suspicion that things would not go well down the road. I had collected a
$100 down-payment prior to writing the proposal, which I kept as
compensation for the strategic consulting inherent to the proposal/SoW I had
produced. I'm not sure how one would formalize that kind of down-payment. He
just handed me a crisp $100 bill over a cup of tea, as a sign to proceed
with drafting the proposal. There was no paperwork.

Ruth Kaufman
212.828.6386
917.623.7423 (mobile)
ruth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx