[wdmaudiodev] Re: Correlation of DSound device with PnP device ID

  • From: "Dugan Porter" <duganp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 23:35:03 -0700

On NT (i.e. WIndows 2000, XP, and beyond), the DSound device GUID is
generated within dsound.dll, based on a simple algorithm which picks a
base GUID dependant on the device type, and modifies the last byte of
the GUID to match the "wave" device ID corresponding to the device.

For example, the base GUID for (non-emulated) audio rendering devices
is:
{0xbd6dd71a-3deb-11d1-b171-00c04fc20000}

So if you have a soundcard whose device ID in the waveOutXxx API is 2,
then its device GUID in the dsound API would be:
{0xbd6dd71a-3deb-11d1-b171-00c04fc20002}  <<< 2 at the end.

Similarly for capture devices and emulated render and capture devices.
Dugan Porter - Audio API Dev Lead - Microsoft
This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no
rights