Re: Dictaphone recomendations

  • From: Michael Lang <papalangi@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Andrew Hodgson <voicerec-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 05:37:40 +0200

Hi Andrew,

What do you want to do?

If you want to record short notes, the Sony ICD-B25, ICD-BP100 or
ICD-BP150 are the best units IMHO. They're no longer manufactured, but
one can get them relatively easy via Ebay. You can append to notes with
these recorders, which isn't possible with the Olympus note takers. The
B25 and the BP150 have 16 mb of built-in memory, one can record around 2
hours of good quality messages with them. The ICD-BP100 has only eight
megs of memory.

Most of the newer Sony modells do not use the LPEC codec, which makes
the mentioned recorders sound very good. The only new Sonys, which use
LPEC are the stereo recorders, like ICD-ST10 and the Memory Stick
machines, the ICD-MS515 for instance. They're relatively expensive and
they use a single key for play, pause, backward, forward, menu and
folder. This key doesn't work too well for me, I sometimes activate a
function accidentally.

If you want to make longer recordings with insertions, overwrites etc.,
the Olympus DS-2000 is great. You can hear a review of it in the Main
Menu archive. It works with SmartMedia cards of up to 128 mb. One can
record up to 16 hours in the good quality mode on a 128 mb card.

Olympus also makes some good conference recorders. They recently made
the DS-2200 available. This recorder uses Olympus's XD Picture cards. As
much as I know, one can use a 512 mb card in the 2200. I don't know
exactly, how long one can record with such a card, but I believe, one
could at least record 16 hours of WMA stereo material onto it.

   <*** Michael Lang ***>