[visionrehabtherapist] Re: Talking automotive tools

  • From: "Brink-Chaney, Marcie (DELEG)" <brink-chaneym@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <susan.ponchillia@xxxxxxxxx>, <DeannaA@xxxxxxxxx>, "IRT" <IRT@xxxxxxxxx>, "Kathy Emata" <Kathye@xxxxxxxxx>, <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 09:51:55 -0400

Hi Sue and everyone else,
     I was talking to my brother in-law and asking what are some of the
tools that a mechanic might need and he suggested a torque wrench, volt
meter, pressure gauges and caliper/micrometer. But, he said that these
days, a computer from your car is connected to a computer that is in the
shop and that computer diagnoses problems and shows them to the
mechanics. So, ultimately, it is necessary to have alternative access to
that computer. Here are sources from www.abledata.comAudible Battery
Tester (2)
Audible and Digital Voltmeter (1)
Audible and Tactile Voltmeter (1)
Audible Battery Tester (2)
Tactile Caliper (1)

Voice Output Caliper (2)

Voice Output Gauge (1)

Voice Output Meter Reader (2)

Voice Output Module for Electronic Tool (2)
Voice Output Voltmeter (1)

CAL-10
The CAL-10 is a caliper audio unit designed to provide talking readouts
for standard digital micrometers or calipers for individuals who are
blind or have low vision. It is a serial interface that plugs directly
into the caliper and allows for clear, concise, natural voice
annunciation (male or female) in English or metric, up to the furthest
decimal expansion the micrometer supplies. It contains an on board
speaker, as well as a phone jack for ear or head phones and it has a
knob ... [More Information]
DIGI-VOICE TOOL MODULE (MODEL 1350)
Their digital read-out instruments plug into this Digi-Voice tool module
for voice output. One module may be used with a number of different
instruments. Instruments include; micrometers, calipers, thickness
indicators, and linear and height gauges (see separate entry). [More
Information]
MICROMETER (MODEL 1650 & 1651)
Snap on micrometer with deeply etched markings. Standard calipers can be
read only with micrometer. Models in one inch increments from 0 to 6
inches. [More Information]

You can get adapted torque wrenches from the source below which used to
be science products for the blind. Their phone number is: 1-800-888-7400
www.captek.net
CAPTEK products are used by the vision-impaired in all fifty states,
Canada and many foreign countries. We specialize in adapting quality
products not otherwise available to the vision impaired.
CUSTOM ADAPTATIONS are a significant part of our business. If you have a
special product that needs to be adapted for a vision
impaired person, we will appreciate an opportunity to quote.

If there are duplications in this list, forgive me. I hope this helps.

Marcie Brink-Chaney CVRT
Michigan Commission for the Blind
Detroit Office
E-mail: brink-chaneym@xxxxxxxxxxxx