[visionrehabtherapist] Talking automotive tools

  • From: Sue Ponchillia <susan.ponchillia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DeannaA@xxxxxxxxx, IRT <IRT@xxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Emata <Kathye@xxxxxxxxx>, visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 13:13:45 -0400

Hi all:

I was asked about accessible automotive repair tools and I figured
the easiest way to get good input was to ask y'all about this one.
Below is the request:

I am working with a gentleman who is totally blind, NLP in both
eyes. He is an automechanic. Problem is, when he has been able to
convince an employer to hire him, he has had problems reading gauges
on cars and reading the diagnostic output from the computer testing
device they hook up to cars to determine what is wrong with them.

He says in the past, he has asked other workers to read gauges and
such for him, but he knows they "mess with him" from time to time,
telling him the wrong info. (This is likely, because he is,… well… a
little hard to get along with and probably honked some people off.
Just my observation.) Now, he wants to go back to school to get his
automechanic certification, because he thinks this will help him
find a job. The supervisor of the program expressed a number of
concerns about his safety, but also about how he will use the
diagnostic equipment in the student garage.

I am wondering if you know if any talking devices exist for reading
air pressure, oil, engine gauges etc. or for adapting the diagnostic
tools used to test cars when they are in for repair. If so, if you
can direct me to any information you have, I would appreciate it.

Have any of you found anything useful lately?
Sue Ponchillia

Susan V. Ponchillia, Ed.D., CVRT
Professor/VRT Program Coordinator
Department of  Blindness and Low Vision Studies
College of Health and Human Services
Western Michigan University
Mail Stop 5218
Kalamazoo, MI  49008