[vicsireland] Re: Selecting A Media Player

  • From: "Flor Lynch" <florlync@xxxxxx>
  • To: <vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 22:27:47 +0100

Hi Tony,

Besides the advice that Tony M has rendered, down the thread, you can also
select file types all or individually, within either RealPlayer, or WinAmp,
or both.

In Winamp:  You go into the File menu with alt-f, and go into the Options
submenu; or simpler, press ctrl-p from the main window to get into the
prefeences.  Then Arrow up/down till you get the File types Tab, in the tree
view, then tab inside.  Get with the unnsual structure of these dialogues.
You will be able to select all, or select the different file types, therein.
Ok your changes (if any).

next, RealPlayer:  Go into tools with alt-t and then p for Preferences.
Follow much the same arrowing procedure as you would have done with Winamp,
till you get to media types (as they call it).  Now, tab inside.  you can
Select All or De-Select All here.  Ok your changes (if any).

In case such changes made using Windows Explorer do not take, as they
sometimes may not, it is as well to know of these other - 'internal' - ways
of doing it.  Personally, I dig Windows Media Player, and revert to it if
for some reason another player opens on one of its files.  (Again, the
selection of file types is quite similar there to those procedures I have
described, but is (if anything) easier there.  On a sidenote, since it also
appeared down the thread, as it were, - Shoutcast was meant to be a Winamp
Library resource; and, as such, Winamp is probably the best player to use
with Shoutcast.  (Lots of small stations use Winamp as their output to
Shoutcast.  However, it's nice that RealPlayer now offers similar enough
facilities.)